Banham’s Piers Luxford hoping for motorsport success
A Banham youngster is looking to keep up with Norfolk's proud racing history as he starts his first karting season.
Piers Luxford only started kart racing as a junior driver a year ago, but has already been promoted to a works' driver within the Project One Racing team.
The 12-year-old is currently racing in the Super One National Series, the elite competition in kart racing.
He recently made his debut in the Honda Cadets class of the championships, which attracts 50 racers aged eight to 13 nationally.
The season's first meeting was held at Whilton Mill, Northamptonshire, where he ended the weekend 11th in the overall table.
You may also want to watch:
Luxford races in a Honda GX160 and caught the motorsport bug from his dad, Paul.
'Back in the 1970s and 1980s I raced hydroplanes and tunnel boats and I was British stock car champion in 1976,' said Luxford senior. 'It's a great achievement considering he is racing against other cadets who have raced for years rather than months.'
- 1 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 2 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 3 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
- 4 Norfolk bowls star tests positive at world indoor championships
- 5 Fired twice in two months: Events boss feels the pain of Covid
- 6 'A lot of tears' as care home announces closure with 30 jobs lost
- 7 Shocking CCTV shows carer abusing woman with dementia
- 8 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 9 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 10 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
Luxford junior was recently invited to Team Lotus' F1 headquarters in Hingham where he met team principal Tony Fernandes and other members of the Hingham set up.
The Luxford family are now looking for sponsorship to allow Piers to continue racing at the highest level of competition.