Baker’s double sets Gorleston on road to victory as title race shots up
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Kyle Baker served up a double as Gorleston warmed up for their crunch trip to leaders Mildenhall with an away win.
The Greens were 4-2 winners at struggling FC Clacton on a day when the top team were without a game.
It's clearly a battle between the top four – but it's too close to call. The key for Gorleston is to win their games in hand – starting at Mildenhall tomorrow night. They are currently eight points off top spot with three games in hand and four points behind second-placed Felixstowe & Walton United, with two games in hand. Third place Newmarket Town are a point better off, but from four games more.
Ricci Butler made two changes from the midweek loss to Brantham, which included dropping Connor Ingram to the bench, reportedly as punishment for a Friday night out.
It took the Greens just 47 seconds to take the lead, Kyle Baker picking up the clearance and dribbling around the keeper before picking out George Yusuff who pulled the ball back to Keegan to score.
You may also want to watch:
A second followed on 14 minutes when Baker, on the left, cut inside and hit a 20-yard drive which crashed into the net off the underside of the bar.
Clacton pulled one back just after the break, but regained their two-goal advantage in the 65th minute, Baker scoring his second. In time added on Ingram made it 4-1 before Clacton finished off the scoring.
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 3 Chicken restaurant closes 'due to unforeseen circumstances'
- 4 Lifeboat crew rescues three girls out to sea on lilos
- 5 Poultry company owner says food industry is at 'crisis point'
- 6 What are the top 10 new shops opening in Norwich?
- 7 Noise investigation launched after works leave houses 'tremoring'
- 8 New beauty salon and massage rooms open at country club
- 9 'Like an invasion' - locals speak out over five-day festival
- 10 'Cold and desolate' - Anne Robinson's Countdown jibe at Norfolk
Felixstowe & Walton United were 3-1 home winners over Wivenhoe Town.
Fakenham drew 2-2 at Hadleigh United, but came within a whisker of winning. Ashley Jarvis puts the Ghosts ahead on 14 minutes and although the hosts levelled, Matty Dye made it 2-1 on 82 minuets, only for Hadleigh to level again from a 90th-minute penalty.
Swaffham Town were hammered 7-1 at Godmanchester Rovers, Jake Slender getting their goal, while Kirkley & Pakefield went down 3-1 at Saffron Walden Town.
In the First Division, Diss were held 1-1 at Halstead Town, while Downham Town beat Team Bury 3-0.
Dereham Town Reserves went down 3-0 at home to March Town United, while King's Lynn Town Reserves lost 3-0 at home to Stowmarket Town. Wisbech St Mary won 4-1 at Framlingham.