Aylsham aces prove a class above rivals at Norfolk Schools Golf Association championships
Aylsham High School had the distinction of completing an unprecedented triple at this year's Norfolk Schools Golf Association championships held at Eaton Golf Club.
Tom Gomer, a two handicaper, set the ball rolling with an excellent 71 to win the Boys' Championship followed home by 13-year-old Jasmine Campbell with a marvellous 82, made even more remarkable by her 16 handicap, to win the Girls' Championship. These two were joined by Harry Gillingwater to successfully win the Team Championship and qualify to represent Norfolk Schools in the National Schools' Team Final at Woodhall Spa in July.
'I was delighted with the team. They both played well,' said Boys champ Gomer, who beat Easton College's Nic Cains by to shots.
'I felt Nic would be my main competition and as we were playing together I knew what is what that I had to do. I started off with a birdie but nearly bottled it at the end. I bogeyed 16 and 17 but still had a two shot lead going down the last, which we both parred. I felt I should have finished under par. I didn't close it out how I would have liked to have done,' added Gomer, who hopes to get his handicap down to scratch this year.
There were some notable other winners with 12-year-old Abigail O'Riordan winning the Girls' Handicap Championship with a 69 and Wymondham High's Harry Bradfield, also only 12, collecting the Boys' Handicap Championship with a 68. The new Under-14 Boys' and Girls' trophies were won by Finlay Heywood from Notre Dame with a 70 and Amy Taylor, who attends Wymondham College, with a 73.
You may also want to watch:
'This year we had a large number of younger entrants and all of their results bode well for the future of golf in Norfolk,' added Norfolk official Margo Horsburgh.
There was one more presentation carried out when Alan Winstanley, President Elect of the Norfolk County Golf Union, presented the 2012 Picken Trophy to Frazer Chettleburgh of Dereham Golf Club for his achievements in that year.
- 1 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 2 Fire crews rush to a crash near Norfolk village
- 3 Police swoop on Norwich address
- 4 Two men in critical condition as multiple people stabbed
- 5 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 6 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 7 Norwich cat torturer who murdered pensioner ‘planned to carry on killing’
- 8 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen
- 9 Swathes of new homes for village move step closer with new planning bid
- 10 Farm worker fined after hay bales fall off trailer and hit car