Aveley 2 Dereham Town 2: Late frustration on the road for high-flying Magpies
- Credit: Ian Burt
Dereham Town had to settle for a point in a close game against Aveley at Parkside.
In the eighth minute Alex Teniola beat keeper Elliot Pride to a high ball but defender Owen Murphy was on hand to clear his header off the line.
The visitors replied with Ashley Jarvis shooting across goal and inches wide. Dereham skipper David Hinton was using the ball well for the Magpies and in the 21st minute he found Danny Beaumont who released Rhys Logan.
The talented wide man cut inside before unleashing a 20-yard left foot drive into the bottom corner of the net to give Dereham the lead.
Aveley's Robbie Rees made a strong run down the left but Teniola side-footed wide his pull back. However, the Millers equalised in the 31st minute when Jordan Watson slid home Teniola's low cross from the right.
You may also want to watch:
Jarvis had a half chance for the Magpies, whilst Aveley were quick on the break. Murphy should have put Dereham back in front in the 39th minute when he failed to net from close range after moving well into the box.
After the break Pride turned George Doyle's left footer over the top for a corner from which Teniola headed wide.
- 1 Would you know what to do if your car hit a deer?
- 2 Which new Covid tier could Norfolk be in?
- 3 What was ‘strange stretched circle’ spotted over Norfolk skies?
- 4 Whale washes up off Norfolk coast
- 5 Plea for help to trace missing heavily pregnant woman
- 6 Four men caught at £2m Norfolk cannabis factory
- 7 Norfolk needs own Covid tier, say MPs ahead of restrictions decision
- 8 More than 50 pupils sent home after student tests positive
- 9 Drivers ‘lucky to walk away’ as cars overturn
- 10 What each lockdown tier could mean for Norfolk
In the 55th minute Toby Hilliard flicked Pride's long clearance on to Beaumont who blazed over when well placed.
In the 60th minute Dereham won a free kick on the right. Beaumont's centre towards the penalty spot was met by Matthew Castellan who rose majestically to powerfully head home and regain the Magpies lead.
Twice Logan fired wide as Dereham looked for the decisive third goal but in added time Sawa Marah outpaced Murphy to a long ball over the top and drilled home a low drive to secure Aveley the equaliser.
Aveley: Madden, Malton, Rees, Leahy (Rose 81), Witherspoon, Stephenson, Hogan, Doyle (Preston 88), A Teniola (West 68), Watson, Marsh. Subs: Southgate, Twumasi.
Dereham: Pride, Castellan, Murphy, Burgers, Ebbage, Linford, Logan, Hinton, Hilliard, Jarvis (Crisp 81), Beaumont. Subs: Kelleher, Wengrizk, Bean.
Referee: Mr J Hall