Attleborough Amateur Boxing Club celebrates 10 successful years
- Credit: Archant
Attleborough Amateur Boxing Club celebrated its 10th anniversary in style at a packed Connaught Hall.
Special guest for the evening was Norwich-based boxer Billy Bird who is the current southern area champion and is set to box for the English title in September.
The club has a squad of 30-plus competitive boxers which is largest in the Eastern Counties and last season four national titles were won by club boxers.
Currently the club has four boxers in the England squads, Rocky Johnston, Lydia Nagle, Tommy Fletcher and Isabell Price.
The club recognises people who have given five years service to the club as committee members or coaches by making them life presidents, with the full list being Abigail Dennis, Harold Wilson, Jeremy Burton, Jon Dennis, Liz Wilson, Martin Lancaster, Mel Dennis, Pam Riley, Peter Neal, Richard Caston, Robert Softley and Shirley Caston. Colin Kilby recently resigned as chairman due to work circumstances and a tribute was given to him along with a certificate of appreciation for the work he has done.
You may also want to watch:
The annual presentation of trophies was hosted by Jon Dennis, head coach and founder member, Richard Caston, president and founder member, Jeremy Burton, vice-chairman and founder member, Pam Riley club secretary and life president and Billy Bird.
Presentation awards: Little Rocky of the year, Hannah Burns Cup, Billy Elderfield, most improved schools, ABC Cup, Isabell Price, schools boxer, Donna Kissinger Trophy, Rocky Johnstone, most improved junior, Denise Francis Cup, Owen Bolingbroke, junior boxer, Barnards Cup, Tommy Fletcher, most improved youth, Solar Solutions Cup, Lewis Nagle, most improved senior, Francis Cup, Ray Firth, senior boxer, Ryan Durrant Cup, Connor Holloway, home boxer of season, Connaught Hall Social Club Cup, Devon Lockwood, boxers' boxer, Women's Institute Cup, Tommy Fletcher, determined to succeed, Kenneth Neal Trophy, Owen Bolingbroke, Star Of The Ladies, ABC Cup, Heidi Nagle, Head Coach selection, Pat Dennis Memorial Trophy, Tommy Fletcher, clubman of the year, Loveday Cup, Rocky Dean.
- 1 More storms ahead as flood warnings remain in place
- 2 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 3 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone
- 4 Inquest hears sister of Hannah Witheridge died while pregnant
- 5 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 6 'They're blaming me' - Social housing tenant angry over state of flat
- 7 Cannabis stash worth about £2000 found hidden in home
- 8 'Lost a couple of staff members a day' - how the 'pingdemic' is hitting Norfolk
- 9 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 10 Hunt for man in connection with drug dealing
To raise funds three sponsored events have been arranged. On July 28 and 29 there is a 24-hour, 47 mile North Norfolk Coastal Pathway Challenge, on August 4 and 5 there is a box-a-thon which is training in the gym for 24 hours non-stop and on August 4 Alan Friedman, coach at the club, is running a sponsored 100 kilometres (62.1 miles). For further details regarding the club or sponsoring an event visit www.attleboroughboxingclub.com.