Attleborough and Harleston pulls off Norfolk Senior Cup upsets with shootout victory

Diss v Bradenham WanderersByline: Sonya DuncanCopyright: Archant 2016

Diss v Bradenham WanderersByline: Sonya DuncanCopyright: Archant 2016 - Credit: Sonya Duncan

Attleborough Town pulled off the biggest upset of the Norfolk Senior Cup second round with a penalty shootout success at Swaffham Town.

The visitors held their Thurlow Nunn Premier Division opponents to a 3-3 draw after extra-time, thanks to a Jack Flynn strike and two own goals cancelling out a Mark Allibone opener and an Alex Vincent brace.

The Anglian Combination First Division side then saw Swaffham keeper Dan Gentry save a penalty in the second half of extra-time but won the subsequent shootout 4-2 to seal their place in the third round draw.

Kyle Downes' late goal sealed another upset as Harleston Town beat Great Yarmouth Town 2-1.

The in-form Anglian Combination Premier Division beat a team who play two divisions higher in the pyramid and maintained their 100 per cent start to the season, with eight wins from eight matches in all competitions.

You may also want to watch:

Mitch Forbes scored the 65th minute to put the Bloaters in front but Nick Howell equalised for the hosts, before Downes nicked the win in the closing stages.

There were no such worries for Thetford, Diss and Downham, who all beat Anglian Combination sides.

Most Read

Thetford won 5-3 at Caister with Ryan Fuller scoring twice and Cameron King, Max Melanson and Ryan Sanders all scoring for the Brecklanders and a George Barnden brace being added to be Mike Fennell for the hosts.

Jason Armes and Shaun Hunsdon scored the goals as Diss won 2-0 at home against Bradenham Wanderers and goals from Karl Tansley and Matt Bussens earned Downham a 2-1 win at North Walsham, whose goal came from Dale Wilton on his first match back with the club.

The only tie pitching two Thurlow Nunn League clubs against each other came at Fakenham, where Gorleston saw their unbeaten start to the campaign brought to an end by their Premier Division rivals in a 2-0 loss, thanks to two late goals from Ashley Jarvis.

Mulbarton Wanderers went to Anglian Combination Premier Division leaders Spixworth and won 5-2, with Paul Cook and an own goal keeping the hosts in it at 2-2 but a brace from player-manager Ben Thompson and goals from Jamie Smith, Den Smith and Dan Henery earned Mulbarton's win.

Steve Kelly scored both goals as Norwich Ceyms won 2-0 at Blofield United while Hellesdon went to Mundford and drew 1-1 but won 4-3 on penalties.

Long Stratton beat Holt United 5-1, Acle United beat Scole United 3-0 and Stalham Town beat Mattishall 3-1.

Meanwhile, in the second round of the Suffolk Senior Cup, Beccles Town went to Grundisburgh and won 5-0. Waveney also won away at Ransomes Sports, 3-1. Bungay Town lost 4-2 to Bramford United and Kirkley & Pakefield Reserves lost 3-1 to Capel Plough.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter