As you were as Gorleston keep up the pressure

Aaron Taylor scored his first goal of the season. Picture: David Hardy

Aaron Taylor scored his first goal of the season. Picture: David Hardy - Credit: Archant

It's as you were at the top of the Premier Division – it now seems to be a question of who blinks first among the leading pack.

Gorleston's 3-0 home win over Long Melford keeps them in fourth position, 11 points off the top spot but with three games in hand – and one of those is a crunch home clash against leaders Mildenhall early next month.

Neighbours Great Yarmouth Town were unable to lend them a helping hand, going down 2-0 at home to third-placed Newmarket Town, but Felixstowe & Walton United, in second place, were surprisingly beaten 2-1 at Stanway on Friday night.

Mildenhall beat Fakenham 5-0.

Thetford Town had a good 4-1 win at Ipswich Wanderers, thanks to two goals from Robbie Priddle, plus one each from Liam Wales and substitute Emmanuel Machaya.

You may also want to watch:

Kirkley & Pakefield lost 2-0 at struggling FC Clacton and Swaffham Town drew 2-2 at home to Haverhill Rovers.

For Gorleston there was a measure of revenge for their defeat against Long Melford a month ago.

Most Read

The Greens went ahead of 15 minutes when a searching ball from Isaac Burrage picked out Keegan Middleton in the middle. He slipped, but the ball fell to Kyle Baker who slotted it home.

It was 2-0 soon after the hour mark when the unmarked Joel Watts headed home – Baker turning provider this time – and the points were sealed on 70 minutes when Aaron Taylor scored his first goal of the season.

At The Wellesley, a youthful Yarmouth squad faced the division's top scorers and couldn't prevent them taking their tally to 99 for the season.

Injury-hit Swaffham Town claimed a valuable point on Saturday – although they surrendered a two-goal advantage in the final 15 minutes, having led through Ben Champion and James Thompson efforts in the opening 20.

In the First Division, Diss were held 2-2 at home by Whitton United and now without a league win in their last six games, while King's Lynn Town Reserves won 2-0 at Leiston. Downham drew 3-3 at Halstead Town, Dereham Reserves went down 7-1 at Stowmarket, Wisbech St Mary lost 5-3 at Braintree Town and March Town United drew 1-1 at Team Bury.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus