Andrew Marshall swaps Thailand for Norfolk – and notches an ace!
- Credit: Archant
Andrew Marshall swapped the heat of Thailand for the chill of an English spring – and shrugged off the huge dip in temperature by recording a hole-in-one!
The Bawburgh professional notched his ace at the latest Norfolk PGA Order of Merit event at Wensum Valley, with the shot to remember helping him to a joint victory.
Marshall had literally warmed up for the event by playing in the Mena Tour's Mahasamutr Masters at Hua Hin, where rounds of 73, 73 and 69 left him on one under par and in a tie for 16th position.
Once back home he quickly returned to action on the new layout of the long Wensum Course and although he had to settle for another 73 there were a couple of memorable moments along the way.
He holed his tee shot on the blind 165 yards par three second and then finished in style by recording an eagle on the last.
You may also want to watch:
That was good enough to share the top prize with Nick Lucas of Dunston Hall, who also came in with a 73.
One shot behind the winners was Matthew Gardner of Barnham Broom, whose score put him at level position with Great Yarmouth and Caister's Ian Ellis in this season's Order of Merit table.
- 1 Neighbours' horror after two people found dead in 'peaceful close'
- 2 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found
- 3 Man and woman found dead in home
- 4 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman dies in village
- 6 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 7 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
- 8 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 9 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 10 Woman who bit an officer among eight people arrested in town
There was a double celebration for Lucas because he also led in the winning team at eleven under par 133, comfortably beating the teams of Will Farley (Rushmere) and Marshall.
Details: 133 Nick Lucas with Stuart Goddard, Mark Lambert and Steve Kearns; 136 Will Farley with David Hews, Steve Howlett and Les Grayston; 137 Andrew Marshall with Mel Harbour, Gorge Pledger and Chris Stearman. Nearest the pin 10th hole Chris Stearman and 13th hole Mark Powell.
PGA Norfolk Order of Merit 2017 (after five events): Ian Ellis (Great Yarmouth & Caister) 29, Matthew Gardner (Barnham Broom 29), Chase Davis (Marriott Sprowston Manor) 21, Nic Cains (Swaffham) 19, Nick Lucas (Dunston Hall) 10, Mike Jubb (Sheringham) 6, Mark Allen (Eaton) 5, Ross Hudson (Wensum Valley) 5, Jason Groat (Denver Golf Centre) 5, Adam Lewarne (Middleton Hall) 5, Mark Spooner (Bawburgh Family Golf) 5.