Norfolk professional Marshall wins big pro-am in Turkey
- Credit: Archant
Norfolk touring professtional Andrew Marshall warmed up for the new season by claiming an impressive victory in Turkey.
Marshall was one of a group of British pros invited to the fourth Regnum Carya pro-am and as well as enjoying his trip to the luxury hotel and golf complex at Antalya he had the added bonus of returning home with a cheque for 5,000 Euros.
He finished on five under par after following up a round of 68 at the Carya course with scores of 71 and 74 at the more difficult National Course, the venue for the European Tour's Turkish Open.
His nearest challenger was Scotland's Greig Hutcheon, who finished on two under.
'It was a really enjoyable trip,' said Marshall, who was representing Bawburgh Golf Club. 'It's a great place to visit, they looked after us really well and obviously I enjoyed the golf too.'
You may also want to watch:
Back in Norfolk it was a tougher challenge for the players who took part in the latest Norfolk PGA pro-am at Sheringham.
They had to endure a bitterly cold gale force wind and with a competition over 17 holes it was a relief to many to get back to the shelter of the clubhouse.
- 1 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
- 2 New Lidl supermarket opens in Norwich
- 3 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 4 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 5 Hospital investigated over 'contentious' deaths goes bust owing £4m
- 6 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 7 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 8 Man was found dead after lockdown hit business, inquest told
- 9 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry
- 10 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
One of the early starters, Matthew Gardner (Barnham Broom), took advantage of calmer conditions to post a winning score of 66, which included three birdies against a revised par of 65. He held off Will Cross (Dereham) and Jason Groat (Denver Golf Centre) who were both one shot behind. Other leading pros were Mike Jubb (Sheringham) on 68 and Joe Lambert (Dunston Hall), Mark Allen (Eaton) and Alan Wright (Swaffham) on 71.
Neil Mitchell (Ipswich Golf Centre) brought home the winning team on 124, which equated to six under par. Details: 124 Neil Mitchell with Henry Flemming, Chris Page and Paul Izzard, 125 Ross Hudson (Wensum Valley) with Nigel Reed, Ian Harvey and John Sadler, 126 Joe Lambert (Dunston Hall) with Tyler Crosby, Scot Seeley and Ro Bower.
The Norfolk Schools' Championships are being held this year at Royal Norwich on Thursday, April 12. Players can progress to South East of England Championships and also to the national final of the Schools' Team Championship at Woodhall Spa. Closing date for entries to the Norfolk event is Tuesday, April 3.