Alpington’s Richard Bloomfield reaches British Tour event semi-finals
Richard Bloomfield began his 2012 season by reaching the semi-finals of the AEGON British Tour event at Billesley Tennis Centre in Warwickshire last week, losing to top seed Josh Goodall in three sets.
The man from Alpington was equal to British number four Goodall until a break of serve late in the final set saw the match slip from his grasp.
The tournament was won by fifth seed Andrew Fitzpatrick whose recent run of impressive form included victory at the end of season British Tour Masters in December. He defeated Bloomfield's conqueror Goodall in three long sets, 6-7, 7-6, 7-5; a tremendous win against a man ranked nearly 500 places higher in the world rankings.
As for Bloomfield, wins over Oliver Hudson of Middlesex and Miles Bugby of Sussex in the earlier rounds of the British Tour will have helped to shift the off season rust.
The Billesley event served as a warm up for this week's Futures in Schwieberdingen, Germany where the Norfolk man takes on 23-year-old Michal Schmid of the Czech Republic in round one.
You may also want to watch:
Schmid is ranked ten places higher than Bloomfield at 473 but experience and a fast surface are likely to be on the side of the 28-year-old who will be hoping to propel his world ranking back inside 250 in time for a crack at Wimbledon qualifying in June.
Bloomfield has not featured in the Gentleman's singles at the All England Club since his first round exit to former world number one Lleyton Hewitt in 2007.
- 1 Nurse's 'heartbreak' over hospital care as her father dies on Covid ward
- 2 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 3 Councillor 'incandescent' over second-home owners breaking Covid rules
- 4 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 5 Deputy lieutenant of Norfolk sells beloved thatched Broads home
- 6 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
- 7 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 8 A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 9 Timeline: When should you receive the coronavirus vaccine?
- 10 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street