All set for Wroxham v Cromer cup derby

Wroxham 0, Leiston 4: Second-placed Wroxham faced a tough clash with Leiston Town, who although one place below have five games in hand.

Scott Howie was missing following a bereavement in the family and Josh Carus was also missing while Paul Cook faced a one-game suspension.

Wroxham, who included new signings Andy Heald and Danny Bloomfield in the starting line-up, started strongly forcing an early corner put in by Jack Marsden which just carried over the advancing Damian Hilton.

On 15 minutes the first real chance fell to Wroxham after a fine run by Andy Heald from midfield, beating three players and seeing his left-foot shot well saved by Jamie Stannard low to his left for another corner.

Leiston came into the game with good link up play between Blake Saker whose ball in found Danny Sny and his flick on goal was just wide.

With heavy challenges going in from both sides, referee James Turner brought out the first yellow card for Leiston's Michael Brothers which was quickly followed with one for Wroxham's Damian Hilton who brought down Gareth Heath.

As the first half came to a close Graham Challen received his yellow card after a challenge in midfield.

Most Read

In the next attack Leiston took the lead when they picked the ball up on the left wing with Leon Ottley-Gooch beating two Wroxham defenders and cutting in before crossing for Danny Smy to tap in from two yards.

This was the visitors' first worthwhile chance with Wroxham dominating play and to rub salt in the wound, shortly after, skipper Graham Challen was dismissed with a second yellow card for lashing out at Smy in an off-the-ball incident after referee Turner consulted his assistant.

Down to 10 men, Wroxham had to come out fighting at the start of the second half and quickly forced a free-kick on the edge of Leiston's box from good work by Claudio Langlois.

From the resulting ball in there was a goalmouth scramble and Matt Daniels almost forced the ball over the line but the visitors cleared.

With Leiston's one-man advantage, Michael Brothers ran down the right wing and crossed into the area to give Leon Ottley-Gooch an easy tap in to make the score 2-0.

On 62 minutes, Wroxham made their first change with Ross Durrant replacing Claudio Langlois.

Leiston now had their tails-up and forced two corners. Jack Marsden did well to clear the ball up to Danny Bloomfield whose shot from the edge of the area flew just over the bar.

Another yellow card was shown this time after a foul on Bloomfield by Leiston's Mark Goldfinch.

Leiston then scored their third goal after a through ball found Michael Brothers who coolly chipped the ball over the advancing Nathan Pauling.

Leiston's first change came on 70 minutes with Simon Head replacing Danny Smy and soon after Luke Hammond came on for Brothers.

Ross Durrant had a couple of chances and was linking up well with Bloomfield particularly a half-volley which was just wide.

Wroxham made a change with Colin Wines replacing Gary Gilmore who worked hard throughout.

With Leiston's advantage and Wroxham tiring, they scored a fourth with a one-on-one Leon Ottley-Gooch neatly slotted the ball into the far corner of the net.

Two more bookings followed in the 88th minute for Leiston's Lee Norfolk and Wroxham's Colin Wines as the visitors ran out comfortable winners.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter