All over bar the shouting as Fakenham near goal
The champagne remains on ice at Fakenham – but they can start setting out the celebration glasses.
The Norfolk Alliance leaders had to settle for five points on Saturday when their Premier Division match at Cromer was abandoned.
That might have given hope to challengers Sprowston, providing they got get some action against Stow. But in the event, although play began at Barker's Lane, that game was cut short with the visitors struggling on 92 for five, bagging Sprowston two bowling points but leaving them still 70 points adrift with three games to play.
Had they won it might have added some spice to this weekend's meeting of the top two. But, as Fakenham's Paul Dungar said yesterday: 'We now need only five points from three matches – so that shouldn't prove beyond us.'
In the only game completed in the Premier Division, Downham beat Brooke by seven wickets.
You may also want to watch:
Rob Panter (73no) provided the only resistance as the visitors struggled to 145 for seven, Angus Stuart taking four for 24. Downham reached the target inside 38 overs led by Ian Harrison's unbeaten 47.
Acle sealed the Division One title with a maximum points 94-run win over Topcroft - while rivals Old Buckenham, who had led the table going into the last round, were washed out at Bradfield.
- 1 Tributes as Leanne, 29, dies after receiving cancer 'all-clear'
- 2 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 3 Norfolk hit by flooding as storms reach the county
- 4 Land wanted by village sold to mystery buyer for £50,000 more
- 5 Horse dies two months after being set on fire
- 6 Norfolk receives overnight flood warnings
- 7 'It was like a river' - Flood damage forces couple to move out
- 8 Man found dead at Thorpe St Andrew home
- 9 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 10 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
Though the weather gave them a helping hand, Acle clinched the championship in style as Tim Wilson hit an unbeaten 109 and Rob Porter 55 in their total of 236-4 while Shaun Roberts took five for 53 as Topcroft were dismissed for 142.