Alfie Hewett to help Great Britain go for gold again at World Team Cup in Sardinia
- Credit: Archant
Alfie Hewett will represent Great Britain in the BNP Paribas World Team Cup in Italy next week.
Norfolk's wheelchair tennis star has been named in the men's squad for the event, which starts on Monday in Alghero, Sardinia.
The 19-year-old double Paralympic silver medallist has been named alongside British number one Gordon Reid and Dermot Bailey in the team by the Tennis Foundation's head of disability player performance Geraint Richards.
Hewett and Reid played a key part when GB won gold at the International Tennis Federation's flagship wheelchair tennis event when it was held in Turkey in 2015 – beating France in both singles rubbers in the final.
The former Acle High School pupil, from Cantley, is currently ranked seventh in the world for singles and fourth for doubles after winning the Wimbledon doubles with Reid last year before two silvers at the Paralympic Games in Rio.
Richards said: 'While 2016 was an exceptional year for British wheelchair tennis as we returned from the Rio Paralympics with six medals and as the most successful wheelchair tennis nation, recent World Team Cups have also produced some memorable victories for our men's, quad and junior teams and we look forward to challenging for more medals in Sardinia.
'To have both our Rio Paralympic men's singles and doubles finalists Gordon Reid and Alfie Hewett and Rio quad singles finalist Andy Lapthorne headlining this year's GB squad of nine players is obviously very exciting. All three have plenty of World Team Cup experience to draw on and with Gordon, Alfie and Antony Cotterill having all enjoyed Super Series doubles victories earlier this month I am confident that we have a well-prepared squad that will do Great Britain and the Tennis Foundation Wheelchair Tennis World Class Programme proud once again.'
You may also want to watch:
Men's – captained by Karen Ross: Gordon Reid (Glasgow), Alfie Hewett (Cantley), Dermot Bailey (Kettering)
Quad – captained by Stuart Wilkinson: Andy Lapthorne (Eastcote), Antony Cotterill (Penistone), James Shaw (Nottingham)
- 1 Two men in critical condition as multiple people stabbed
- 2 Fire crews rush to a crash near Norfolk village
- 3 Police swoop on Norwich address
- 4 Secluded Broads farmhouse in almost 11 acres goes up for sale
- 5 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 6 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 7 Norwich cat torturer who murdered pensioner ‘planned to carry on killing’
- 8 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 9 Plans for seven new supermarkets in Norfolk - but where will they be?
- 10 Police called after elderly, sick seal attacked with stones
Junior – captained by Rob Cross: Ruairi Logan (Edinburgh), Alex Chaston (Greenwich, London), George Davies (Coventry)