Age proves no barrier in carp quest
On the big carp waters anglers from both ends of the age spectrum hit the jackpot last week.
Macauley Chapman, from Bradwell near Yarmouth, had the best of the week at Hall Farm, Burgh Castle where the 13-year-old Lynn Grove High School pupil tempted the 17lb 4oz specimen on strawberry flavoured boilie.
At Waveney Valley, Wortwell teenager Toby Long winched out a 24 pounder while at Diss Mere Banham's virile pensioner Gordan Pearce beat a 22lb 15oz mirror carp, a pole caught venue record tempted on a size 14 hook baited with a left over potato chip from his lunch. The fish fought for 15 minutes before it was netted.
On the match circuit Tony Anderson (Suffolk Angling Direct) completed a winning double with 86lb 7oz at Hinderclay after midweek success of a 38lb 7oz winner at the Barford silver fish contest.
• Local match anglers can end their season in grand style by entering the Wensum Valley Angling Championship – an event sponsored by local tackle shops and a national bait company.
You may also want to watch:
This two-day challenge for pairs and individuals on March 12 and 13 is being organised by Keith Westgate and Tony Gibbons at the Wensum Valley Hotel Golf and Country Club at Taverham where entertainment and late night bars and accommodation will be available for anglers hoping to end their season with a high octane stop over.
Entry costs �20 for pairs and �10 for individuals available from Tony Gibbons, 19 Blithewood Gardens, Sprowston, Norwich by post or by hand by March 5. Further details are available from Gibbons on 01603 400973, Westgate on 07771 553029, or the hotel on 01603 261012.
- 1 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 2 Stunning images capture Cromer in the snow
- 3 'Anti-social rider' has quadbike seized in the snow
- 4 Floral tributes left to driver killed in A148 crash
- 5 Jailed in Norfolk: Burglars, domestic abuse and threats to kill
- 6 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 7 Driver escapes serious injury after 4x4 flips onto roof
- 8 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 9 Man who felt lonely caught drink-driving, court hears
- 10 IN PICTURES: The businesses still going strong in lockdown