Age proves no barrier in carp quest
On the big carp waters anglers from both ends of the age spectrum hit the jackpot last week.
Macauley Chapman, from Bradwell near Yarmouth, had the best of the week at Hall Farm, Burgh Castle where the 13-year-old Lynn Grove High School pupil tempted the 17lb 4oz specimen on strawberry flavoured boilie.
At Waveney Valley, Wortwell teenager Toby Long winched out a 24 pounder while at Diss Mere Banham's virile pensioner Gordan Pearce beat a 22lb 15oz mirror carp, a pole caught venue record tempted on a size 14 hook baited with a left over potato chip from his lunch. The fish fought for 15 minutes before it was netted.
On the match circuit Tony Anderson (Suffolk Angling Direct) completed a winning double with 86lb 7oz at Hinderclay after midweek success of a 38lb 7oz winner at the Barford silver fish contest.
• Local match anglers can end their season in grand style by entering the Wensum Valley Angling Championship – an event sponsored by local tackle shops and a national bait company.
You may also want to watch:
This two-day challenge for pairs and individuals on March 12 and 13 is being organised by Keith Westgate and Tony Gibbons at the Wensum Valley Hotel Golf and Country Club at Taverham where entertainment and late night bars and accommodation will be available for anglers hoping to end their season with a high octane stop over.
Entry costs �20 for pairs and �10 for individuals available from Tony Gibbons, 19 Blithewood Gardens, Sprowston, Norwich by post or by hand by March 5. Further details are available from Gibbons on 01603 400973, Westgate on 07771 553029, or the hotel on 01603 261012.
- 1 Tributes as Leanne, 29, dies after receiving cancer 'all-clear'
- 2 Norfolk hit by flooding as storms reach the county
- 3 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 4 Land wanted by village sold to mystery buyer for £50,000 more
- 5 Horse dies two months after being set on fire
- 6 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 7 Man found dead at Thorpe St Andrew home
- 8 Cafe owner 'overwhelmed' by support for contested outdoor terrace
- 9 Petrol station staff to receive awards for attempting to save baby's life
- 10 'It was like a river' - Flood damage forces couple to move out