AFC Sudbury 1 Lowestoft Town 1: Jake Reed rescues point for Trawlerboys

Jake Reed was on target for Lowestoft at AFC Sudbury. Picture: SHIRLEY D WHITLOW

Jake Reed was on target for Lowestoft at AFC Sudbury. Picture: SHIRLEY D WHITLOW - Credit: Archant

Jake Reed scored a minute from time to rescue a point for Lowestoft Town in their Suffolk derby at AFC Sudbury.

Dylan Williams looked to have secured all the points for AFC after his first-time shot put the hosts in front at the start of the second half.

But Reed headed home from Adam Smith's free-kick in the 89th minute to earn the Trawlerboys a point at the Wardale Williams Stadium.

Lowestoft welcomed back top scorer Reed from suspension, as well as Ipswich Town loanee Travis Cole and goalkeeper Jake Jessup, who was making his first start since September 3.

Lowestoft were dealt a blow after just nine minutes when winger Chris Henderson was forced to come off with an injury, while Sudbury had to make a change after Jordan Blackwell left the pitch on a stretcher late in the first half.

You may also want to watch:

In a half of few chances it was Lowestoft who had the better of them. Harvey Hodd saw two efforts go over the target, the first of those which was blocked by the returning Jack Wilkinson on 16 minutes, and the second a minute later flew over the crossbar.

Ryan Jarvis sent a free-kick wide of the Sudbury goal on 39 minutes, before AFC began to find some fluidity in the final third, with Williams and Eagle both having efforts go wide of the target.

Most Read

During lengthy first-half stoppage time, Sudbury were calling for a penalty when Eagle went down in the box.

A neat move between substitute Alfie Carroll and Craig Parker released Eagle into the Lowestoft box, who went down under a challenge from the visiting defence but was deemed to have dived by the referee.

AFC have been susceptible to making slow starts after half-time in recent games, but barely 60 seconds had elapsed after the restart when Sudbury were celebrating taking the lead.

A corner from Eagle was dummied by Parker and went into the path of Williams, who fired an unstoppable strike into the corner.

The goal was just what the game needed and both sides began to play with more freedom. Sam Bantick, who came on at half-time for Aidan Austin, made a driving run into the Lowestoft box and pulled the ball back for James Baker.

With Jessup having been called out to the danger of Bantick's run, Baker fired at goal but was denied by the head of Harry Barker, who cleared the ball off the line.

Lowestoft never gave up and grabbed an equaliser with just one minute of normal time left on the clock. Smith's free-kick was headed home by Reed.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus