Active collect hat-trick at Norwich awards night
The Norwich Section AGM took place at Easton College Tennis Centre with prizes being awarded to league and cup winners from the 2011 season.
Esporta/Virgin Active made it a hat-trick of wins by collecting the men's and mixed league titles as well as the Division One mixed cup.
In the Fleur-de-Lys Men's League, Esporta/Virgin Active won Division One while Cringleford topped the second flight and East Anglia C were champions of Division Three.
Acle ladies won the Myhill Salver and Broadland Sands took home the Division Two title.
In the Mixed Jewson League, it was another victory for Esporta/Virgin Active who won Division One and Diss B celebrated taking the Division Two crown.
You may also want to watch:
The Division One mixed cup was Esporta/Virgin Active's final silverware of the night and East Anglia A picked up the Division Two mixed cup.
The ever-successful Hunstanton Vets were champions of the 40/45 league; Broadland Sands B completed the list of winners as Division Two top dogs.
- 1 Work started on four new homes without permission
- 2 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 5 Murder investigation launched after body of man found in Norwich flat
- 6 Holt Hall for sale after years of uncertainty
- 7 Swathes of new homes for village move step closer with new planning bid
- 8 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 9 Man who died after a medical episode in Hopton identified
- 10 Christmas craft, food and gift fair returning to Norfolk estate
The Honorary secretary's report reflected on a successful Norwich Junior Parks tournament but the need for more entries in the league and cup competitions.
• Matthew Cott won the Grade Three Winter Regional Tournament at Virgin Active, Norwich by defeating Suffolk opponent Oscar Cutting 7-5, 6-1 in the final.
Cott, seeded second for the event, recorded four straight-set wins to take the title in Norfolk. Wins against Samuel Clarke (Cambridgeshire) and Oscar Gordon-Reid (Kent) set up a semi-final against fellow Norfolk county player Matthew Samson.
Samson had beaten number three seed Samuel Sinnott (Middlesex) in the quarter-finals but Cott won 6-1, 6-1 to reach the final against Oscar Cutting (Suffolk).
The first set against Cutting was a tense affair which Cott managed to edge 7-5 before taking the title with a 6-1 win in the second set.
Cott trains at Easton College Tennis Centre and has received funding from the South Norfolk Council Community Sport Achiever awards, which support young talented athletes to help them achieve their potential.
• Norfolk juniors Maria Andrews and Klara Moolman finished third and fourth respectively at an Under Grade 3 event at Gosling Tennis Centre in Hertfordshire.
Both players beat older or higher-rated opponents en route to the semi-finals where each lost in straight sets. In the third/fourth play-off, Andrews downed her county team-mate 6-1, 6-0.
Andrews, 13, picked up wins over Stella Gordon and third seed Gabrielle Paul, while 14-year-old Moolman ousted top seed Sian Green 6-2, 6-2 in the quarter-finals.