Acle unable to halt their batting slump in Carter Cup
Sunday's Carter Cup ties proved low-scoring affairs – with Acle's batsmen struggling more than most after being bowled out for just 43.
None of the teams batting first in the three matches posted more than 120 and when Acle dismissed Norwich for just 100, a quarter-final place seemed there for the taking.
However, not for the first time this season, Shaun Roberts' side stumbled with the bat as they fell 58 runs short of victory, with Ashley Watson taking four for five. Acle's top score in six completed league games this summer is 126 and they were also bowled out for just 28 in their NACO Cup first round defeat.
Mattishall produced a minor upset as they won by six wickets at Ashmanhaugh & Barton Wanderers.
The Alliance Premier Division hosts were all out for 120 before their Division One visitors wrapped up victory.
You may also want to watch:
But there were no surprises at Hethersett & Tas Valley as Great Witchingham stormed to a nine-wicket win.
Tas were bowled out for 107 in the 53rd over, with James Warne taking three for 16 and James Hale claiming three for 13.
- 1 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 2 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 3 Councillor 'incandescent' over second-home owners breaking Covid rules
- 4 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 5 Nurse's 'heartbreak' over hospital care as her father dies on Covid ward
- 6 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 7 Deputy lieutenant of Norfolk sells beloved thatched Broads home
- 8 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 9 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
- 10 Jail for 'Jekyll and Hyde' builder who made customer 'fear for her life'
Troy Allen wasted little time in firing Witchingham to victory in the 25th over, finishing on 62no.
The five outstanding ties will take place this Sunday.
• Sunday's games
Carter Cup second round: Downham v Swardeston, Garboldisham v Swaffham, Horsford v Sprowston, North Runcton v Fakenham, Vauxhall Mallards v Diss.
Lady Mary Trophy first round (2pm): Dereham v Mundford, Martham v Beccles, Old Buckenham v Hardingham.