Acle Rangers were feeling ‘quietly confident’ ahead of Norman Wanderers clash
- Credit: Archant
The remarkable unbeaten record of Norman Wanders was ended by Acle Rangers, who had twice come close to ending the record before.
Acle drew 1-1 home and away with Norman last season so manager Julian Bussell was feeling 'quietly confident' that has side could get the win.
Daniel Foreman put the hosts in front before Norman levelled the scores through captain Warren Preston. Ben Morgan then scored a penalty and Norman had the chance to level again, but Acle keeper Scott Foreman made the save.
Ricky Forder put Acle 3-1 ahead from a Jordan Betts cross before the break and Acle could even afford to miss a penalty in the second half and hold out for the win.
'It was a good game, we played really well, Norman were very complimentary of us,' Rangers boss Bussell said. 'We deserved to win, in the second half we had more chances.
You may also want to watch:
'We were aware it was going to be tough but confident that we could get something because last season Norman were unbeaten all season, drawing four games, and drew both league games against us.
'So we were quietly confident that we could get something.'
- 1 Tributes as Leanne, 29, dies after receiving cancer 'all-clear'
- 2 Norfolk hit by flooding as storms reach the county
- 3 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 4 Land wanted by village sold to mystery buyer for £50,000 more
- 5 Horse dies two months after being set on fire
- 6 Man found dead at Thorpe St Andrew home
- 7 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 8 'It was like a river' - Flood damage forces couple to move out
- 9 Norfolk receives overnight flood warnings
- 10 Cafe owner 'overwhelmed' by support for contested outdoor terrace
Bussell is Acle's all-time leading scorer, having made over 500 appearances for the club, and took over as manager this summer following seven seasons with Richard Westgate in charge.
Sixth place in the Premier Division last season has been built on with four wins in five games so far this season.
'Whoever finishes above Norman this season will have done really well,' Bussell added. 'Norman's record was a really great achievement, but we weren't actually aware of it until after the game on Sunday!
'But they were pretty gracious in defeat and realised we were the better side on the day.'