Academy’s varied programme
Dereham's answer to a fame academy for martial arts is now up and running.Karate, kickboxing, self defence and fitness training are just some of the activities that will be on offer Dereham Martial Arts Academy at its Rash's Green Industrial Estate base.
Dereham's answer to a fame academy for martial arts is now up and running.
Karate, kickboxing, self defence and fitness training are just some of the activities that will be on offer Dereham Martial Arts Academy at its Rash's Green Industrial Estate base.
It is an expansion of the town's Black Belt Academy which has been operating for about 10 years.
Instructor Adrian Gardiner, who has set up the school with fellow instructors Neil Cook and Paul Mummery, said it was developed because of a growing interest in the martial arts.
You may also want to watch:
The old academy, which used to meet at the new sports centre in Dereham, had about 20 members and Gardiner hopes the new school will attract more than 200 members within the next 12 months.
He said that the academy was aimed at all ages and abilities and for people who want to compete at a national level as well as those who just want to get fit and make new friends.
- 1 Murder investigation launched after woman found dead following house fire
- 2 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 3 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 4 Thieves swam across river to steal paddleboards from new firm
- 5 Child taken to hospital after being pulled from the sea
- 6 Murdered Norfolk mum's bravery has helped family through their darkest days
- 7 Police reopen road following earlier crash
- 8 Be lord of the manor: Site of forgotten mansion for sale for £2.3m
- 9 In pictures: England fans enjoy Euro 2020 win at Norwich fan park
- 10 'Be responsible' - coastguard issues warning after seven-year-old is rescued from sea
Cook, a 2nd Dan Karate black belt, has just returned from China where he has spent 10 months training in a range of martial arts disciplines including wushu, Thai boxing and wrestling which he will incorporate into the lessons.
Dereham Martial Arts Academy will be open Monday to Friday from 3.30pm to 9pm, and from 11am until 1pm on Saturdays.
People can have a go at martial arts with free taster sessions being offered. For more information call 01362 652828.