Review of Summer Circus and Water Spectacular at the Hippodrome
- Credit: Archant
Summer Circus and Water Spectacular
Over sixty years since my first visit to the Hippodrome Circus I still love it.
In 1955 it was Billy Russell pulling out all the stops with the water spectacle but since 1981 the Jay family have been the ring masters and this summer's production from Jack Jay is as good as it gets providing tremendous pace blending tradition with 21st century technology.
It opens with the return of Sascha Williams the 26 year old Australian whose Rolla-Rolla balancing on tubes looks impossible and is truly breath-taking.
You may also want to watch:
Just as exciting are the Thunderdome Riders whizzing around on motorbikes inside their huge metal hamster ball. Watching the equipment slide into place builds the tension even before we experience the rare feat of bikes circling each other!
From Romania Costin is a very funny trampoline artist whose clowning disguises his incredible ability while another highlight is the youthful Chilean Cardenas Brothers on the wheel of death.
- 1 Couple sell pub with Nelson link after council stops project
- 2 Shop worker receives complaints for asking customers to wear face masks
- 3 Town clerk sacked following months of controversy
- 4 Derelict pub on eyesore site could be turned into new Co-op store
- 5 New drive-thru McDonald's to create 65 jobs
- 6 Norwich sonic boom: RAF confirms jet 'inadvertently' caused bang over city
- 7 'We don't want to close': Farm shop makes plea for support during lockdown
- 8 Flood alerts across Norfolk ahead of expected rain
- 9 'Sounded like my roof was coming off': RAF jet sonic boom heard over city
- 10 Dog dies and another missing after getting lost in snow
This type of act has been a regular circus feature for the last two decades but these two are totally fearless daredevils.
All this seamlessly linked together by the Estelle Clifton dancers and swimmers and Jack Jay and comedy partner Johnny Mac who brings much original humour.
The production values make today's Hippodrome so spectacular. The lighting design, the imaginative use of video, smoke and music and the crowning glory of the water filled sinking ring all add up to two hours of unmissable entertainment.
The Summer Circus and Water Spectacular 2017 runs until September 17. For information on times and to buy tickets call O1493 844172 or book online at www.hippodrome circus.co.uk. Family and VIP tickets are also available.