Reader letter: Congrats to Norwich City Council on the great success of their scheme to make Norwich impenetrable and impassable to visitors
- Credit: PA
I hail from Norwich and my family are Norwich City season ticket holders. For more than a decade four of us have shared a car and driven to nearly every home game.
We get there early and park on Rouen Road because this allows us to get away swiftly for the two hour journey home without leaving early.
We always have a meal before the game, spending between £80 and £100 and hopefully contributing to the local economy. But no more.
At the first game of this season we discovered that for some obscure reason both Finklegate and Thorn Lane had been permanently closed. Why? They are not residential streets. Those driving through them left the city swiftly with minimum inconvenience to residents. After the first game of the season it took us an extra half an hour to get through the city.
Along with other drivers trapped in this wholly unnecessary traffic jam, we added to the pollution levels and contributed to traffic chaos. On Tuesday, for the Wigan game, I, instead, arrived as close to kick-off time as possible and parked on Queen's Road. We bought nothing and contributed nothing to local businesses. Norwich City Council appears to adopt a blinkered approach where it considers that everyone lives within walking distance of the city centre or can use public transport. Well, we don't and we can't.
You may also want to watch:
For the future we will no longer be spending as much time or money in Norwich city centre, which is a shame, because it is a fabulous place with fantastic businesses run by enthusiastic and wonderful people. What a shame those who run City Hall seem intent on undermining its attraction for those who visit it from further afield.
- 1 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 2 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 3 'You want to be un-vaccinated? Go to Lowestoft' - rock legend's jab at town
- 4 Revealed: The cheapest towns in Norfolk to buy a home
- 5 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 6 How Norfolk are you? Take this quiz to find out
- 7 Nicole Kidman donates £10k to Norfolk dad's charity walk
- 8 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 9 'Embarrassing' - City fans ask questions of Farke after Chelsea thrashing
- 10 Delays on A47 due to collapsed manhole cover