Proms to return for Diss Carnival celebrations
Concertgoers are being urged to resurrect their Union Jack flags next month for the traditional curtain raiser for the Diss Carnival.
Proms in the Park will return from 6.30pm on Saturday, June 18, which will kick off the town's summer carnival celebrations.
The South Norfolk Youth Symphonic Band (SNYSB) will once again be performing in the pavilion beside Diss Mere for the seventh annual event.
The concert will be followed on the Sunday with the carnival parade through Diss town centre and a family fun day at Diss Town Football Club.
The first Proms in the Park concert was held in 2005 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the founding of the Rotary movement and the launch of a mere fountain.
This year's free proms event will also mark the crowning of the Diss Carnival King and Queen, Tom Harris and Hdia Nour, and will raise funds for Diss Rotary Club charities.
Concert organiser James Kay said: 'The main idea is to provide an enjoyable evening out for the whole family listening to the fabulous music of the young musicians of the South Norfolk Youth Symphonic Band.
- 1 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 2 Obituary: Tributes after 'heart-shaped hole' is left following teaching assistant's death
- 3 Norfolk to be battered by winds of up to 65mph as Storm Arwen hits UK
- 4 Flood alerts issued for parts of Norfolk due to stormy conditions
- 5 A11 northbound closed following crash near Attleborough
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of sexually assaulting girl on her way to school
- 7 'It was a shock' - Burglars raid newsagent after smashing window with axe
- 8 Norfolk stately home neighbour dispute sees campsite owner in court
- 9 Hermes courier and his wife could be jailed over ‘stolen parcels’
- 10 All I want for Christmas is... a twinkling tractor with fairy lights
Any money that is raised will go to Rotary charities which include the East Anglian Air Ambulance, East Anglia's Children's Hospices and a project to dig wells in Zambia.'
Rotary president John Gallen added that the club was a 'very enthusiastic' supporter of the carnival celebrations.
'This is an opportunity to thank all those who have supported the club's events and public collections during the past year but also as an opportunity to be part of the fun. After all, that is what Proms in the Park is all about,' he said.
SNYSB will again be under the leadership of Mike Booty to coordinate some patriotic flag waving to Rule Britannia and Land of Hope and Glory.
This year's carnival parade theme on June 19 is fairy stories and nursery rhymes, which will be followed by a host of activities and displays at the football club in Brewers Green Lane, including entertainment from Steve Sausage and Bazza Bizarre.
To get involved, contact carnival co-ordinator Doreen Collins on 01379 642018 or email email@example.com