Photo gallery: One man’s mission to restore Bacton Wood Mill and his stretch of the North Walsham and Dilham Canal

Laurence Ashton at Bacton Wood Mill and lock. PHOTO: ANTONY KELLY

As a practical man who does not mind getting his hands dirty, it was inevitable that when Laurie Ashton bought a disused north Norfolk mill in 1994 he would eventually want to restore it.

And because Bacton Wood Mill is beside Norfolk's only canal - long disused - Mr Ashton is also very keen to bring that back into use as well.

He is so passionate about the project that in 2009 he and his wife Julie formed the Old Canal Company and bought a two-and-a-half mile stretch of the North Walsham and Dilham Canal, between Ebridge Mill lock and Swafield Bridge.

Mr Ashton, 65, knows what he is talking about when it comes to both machinery and water. A chartered electrical engineer from Essex, he was a regular weekend visitor to the area in the 1960s as one of the first volunteers on the North Norfolk Railway.

When the couple moved to north Norfolk, they bought two boatyards, at Wayford and Hoveton.


You may also want to watch:


The near nine-mile canalisation of the River Ant opened in 1826 and stretched from Antingham to Wayford bridge. It included six locks capable of taking small wherries which carried goods including flour and animal feed.

The last wherry to use the canal was the Ella in 1934 after which the waterway gradually became choked with vegetation.

Most Read

The section above Bacton Wood Mill dried out when contractors demolishing the old canal bridge at Royston, in order to make a stronger lower one to cope with the heavy traffic for the building of the Bacton Gas terminal, emptied the canal by breaching it above Royston Bridge, according to the East Anglian Waterways Association.

Mr Ashton hopes to remedy that. Sparing with words but generous with his time and expertise, he explained: 'I think it will look a lot better restored than it does full of reeds and other stuff.'

The mill machinery had been intact but 'worn into the ground' he said. The 18ft 6in wheel was in situ, but rusted and missing its wooden paddles.

Over the years he has rebuilt the tail race bridge, stabilised all the brickwork in the wheel pit and restored the wheel, though it still lacks the paddles.

But the centre piece of Mr Ashton's restoration work to date is the lock, once completely overgrown and suffering from neglect.

With the help of retired brickmaker John Brice he has spent three years restoring it, investing about £40,000 alone in some 57,000 bricks, and about £2,500 on the top gates. The bottom gates are next on the list.

This winter Mr Ashton hopes to kickstart the re-watering of the canal above his mill by filling the breach made by the contractors and installing a sluice gate he has made. Success would mean the wheel of a mill first recorded in the Domesday Book could turn once again.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter