Photo gallery: Crab boat capsizes during rescue drama off Cromer beach
A dramatic rescue unfolded off Cromer beach this morning after a fishing boat broke down in a heavy swell.
The small crab vessel lost power off the Bath House at around 8.20am.
The inshore lifeboat was scrambled into action and rushed to the boat and its one man crew.
A tow line was attached to pull it to safety, but just a few hundred metres from the shore the crab boat capsized and the fisherman ended up in the sea.
He managed to scramble onto the top of the upturned boat as the lifeboat crew were joined by fishermen, who helped attach more tow lines and pull the vessel ashore with a tractor.
You may also want to watch:
John and Julie Marney were taking an early morning walk along the promenade when they watched the rescue unfold, and took these pictures of the lifeboat crew and fishermen bringing the stricken vessel ashore.
Richard Leeds, operations manager at Cromer lifeboat, said the crew was faced with 'very difficult' conditions.
- 1 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 2 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 3 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 4 Covid case rates continue to fall across Norfolk and Waveney
- 5 Voyeur watched people after setting up secret cameras in bathroom
- 6 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 7 Government must step in to help 'desperate' Norwich hospital, says MP
- 8 Woman in 60s suffers serious injuries after car crashes into ditch
- 9 Photo gallery: Snow turns region into winter wonderland
- 10 Several burst mains in town leave homes without water
'It was force three - four (winds) and a heavy swell. We brought him in as safely as we could, unfortunately at the last few metres the swell caught the crab boat and turned him over,' Mr Leeds added.
'Luckily he was ok but it was a bit of a struggle getting him through the swell. It involved a lot of shore crew and extra fishermen.
'It was not ideal conditions.'
The fisherman and crab boat were brought safely ashore and the lifeboat was stood down at 9.15am.