Photo gallery and review: Will Young in Thetford Forest
I wonder what the cynics are thinking now?
Ten years ago when a young man called Young won the first series of Pop Idol, it was assumed in certain circles that he would be a one-hit wonder and be forgotten once the next TV music talent show star was born.
Well, shifting nine million records, performing to sell out UK tours, presenting his own TV show and getting a leading role in a West End musical are fairly good ways to prove you are here to stay.
'Not bad for 33!' joked Young as he entertained a 6500-strong crowd at Thetford Forest on Saturday night and showed there are still few signs of his fire burning out a decade after he shot to fame.
A showman Young certainly is and he glided around the stage in his own inimitable way and soaked up the adoration from his fans who had guaranteed prime spots at the front of the arena.
Fortunately the multitudes in the woods did not have to endure a forecast soaking from above and there was only a light shower towards the end of the gig.
Young got his crowd waving, clapping and holding up their phones and joining in many of the 20 or so songs he performed from his best known tracks such as Leave Right Now, Changes, All Time Love and Light My Fire to newer releases.
- 1 Pub transformed into 'breathtaking' family home for sale for almost £1m
- 2 Norfolk man arranged sexual exploitation of teen victim
- 3 Norfolk Coast Path to close for eight weeks
- 4 Work from home, masks and NHS passes: New Covid rules explained
- 5 Woman to stand trial accused of causing death by careless driving
- 6 Diners showered with glass after man smashes pub window
- 7 Delays expected with A47 to close in both directions for 15 miles
- 8 Missing Beccles woman Jaime Larter, 42, found
- 9 Family 'increasingly concerned' about missing Beccles woman
- 10 Man accused of playing naked wrestling game with schoolgirl likely to be jailed
Singer songwriter Nerina Pallot - who has become a regular on Radio 2 - provided excellent support and you sense it won't be long until she is a headline act in her own right.
Young completed the first half of the Thetford Forest concert season, which saw a total of about 17,000 people see the three gigs.
The second half will feature Ed Sheeran on July 12 (already sold out), Alfie Boe on July 13 and The Darkness on July 14.
For more information visit the website www.forestry.gov.uk/music