Norwich United continue fine run
Norwich United 1, CRC 0
The Planters secured a fourth straight victory as David Cory's goal early in the second half was enough to beat a spirited CRC side, enabling the Planters to move up to sixth.
It was a game of few chances in the wet conditions and it wasn't until the 18th minute when Justin Fox had the first real chance, his shot on the turn from the edge of the area just going wide of the far post.
Planters keeper Ben Nower was well placed to comfortably hold a Luke Allen shot from just outside the box two minutes later, but with a commanding performance from the Planters defence, notably the new centre half partnership of Nathan Clarke and Joe Jefford who made his debut after signing for the Planters on Friday, Nower had a relatively quiet afternoon.
Lee Hunter fired wide of the far post after good work down the left wing by Ross King and an excellent challenge by CRC defender Blaine Hudson denied Cory an almost certain goal after Ryan Foster had squared from the byline.
You may also want to watch:
Three minutes after the interval and the Planters were in front, Fox intercepting an unusually poor ball out of defence and playing a lovely ball through for Cory to take into the area and slot under the advancing keeper Lewis Fenney.
From then on it was the Planters in the ascendancy as they looked for the second goal to assert their superiority, Fox saw a shot from 25 yards go narrowly wide and played a lovely ball through for Cory who was this time denied by a good tackle from Alex Bevan. Jefford almost marked his fine performance with a goal but saw his effort from a left wing corner cleared off the line.
- 1 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 2 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 3 ‘I cried so much’ - Mum-of-four on impact of whole family having Covid
- 4 Norwich Debenhams looks doomed as Boohoo to buy brand
- 5 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 6 Bus crashes into lorry in Norwich
- 7 Body discovered in Thetford Forest Park
- 8 'We're all shocked' - Butchers shop attacked by vandals
- 9 Shock as cannabis factory found in quiet Broads' village
- 10 Cycling trail among ideas for new country park
Cory was brought down in the area but referee Chris Francis waved play on and the Planters had to settle for a single goal victory.
Manager Paul Chick was delighted with the win, 'It was an excellent performance and Joe Jefford's debut was as good as I've seen.'
Norwich United: Nower, Shipley, Key, Jefford, Clarke, Fox, Hunter (Blyth 88), Cory, King, Foster, Harvey-Cooper (Jeal 27). Unused sub: Campbell.
CRC: Fenney, Thorpe, Coakley, Bevan, Hudson, Allen, Eades (Naiwo 85), Hannant, Hughes, Atumuto (Smith 56), Brighton. Unused subs: Parr, Gnanore, Trunca.
Referee: C Francis.
Assistants: P Goldsmith & P Smith.