Norwich City’s Whitbread withdrawn from USA squad
Norwich City defender Zak Whitbread has withdrawn from the USA squad due to a back injury picked up in Saturday's 1-1 draw with Hull City.
The 27-year-old was called up for their forthcoming games with Argentina and Paraguay on March 26 and 29 respectively - his first inclusion in the senior national side, having made five appearances for the United States Under-20s whilst a youngster at Liverpool.
Whitbread has only recently cemented his place in the starting line-up after a year interrupted by a series of injuries.
Whitbread admitted earlier this season a full international call up was a long-term ambition after featuring for the US at younger levels.
'The first priority was to get back (healthy) and to get back playing and doing well for Norwich,' he said. 'I've always said anything beyond that would be a massive bonus.
You may also want to watch:
'It's still something that's high up there on the list of ambitions, which I would like to achieve. I've played in the U20s and U23s, so it's something I've really wanted to do. As I said, all I can do is keep performing as well as I can for Norwich and hopefully the national team is aware of me and hopefully I'll get a chance sooner or later of proving what I can have to offer.'
- 1 Man dies in hospital after fight near Norfolk pub
- 2 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 3 The Bill star reveals he has moved to Norfolk and why he loves it
- 4 Queues form at Norfolk petrol stations - despite reassurances over stock
- 5 Petrol stations close nationally as HGV driver crisis worsens
- 6 Spectacle of light with 'Norfolk's biggest ever firework display' announced
- 7 Some queues - but business largely as usual at Norfolk's petrol stations
- 8 SOLD! Royal Arcade goes for £2m MORE than guide price
- 9 Delays on A47 after lorry overturns
- 10 How farm shop grew from honesty-box shed to £1.2m turnover