Norwich City’s Barnett ruled out for season
Norwich City defender Leon Barnett has been ruled out for the rest of the season.
Barnett suffered a hamstring injury in the 2-1 win over Reading on Saturday and scans this week revealed he almost certainly requires surgery.
City boss Paul Lambert revealed the news at this morning's Colney press conference and also said he was close to bringing in an experienced central defender in on loan as cover. However, the loan deal is not expected to be completed in time for the player to travel for tomorrow's game at Leeds United.
'He will virtually miss the rest of the season,' said manager Paul Lambert. 'He's got a bad one.
'He has been excellent, it is a blow for us there is no doubt, the way he has performed.
You may also want to watch:
'I will try and bring somebody else in. It won't be for tomorrow.'
The timing of Barnett's injury, with two thirds of the season gone, means Lambert has gone for experience in the loan market.
- 1 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 2 New women's only fitness studio to open in Norwich
- 3 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 4 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
- 5 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 6 Chance to have your say over 4,000-home development
- 7 Driver who died in A47 crash had medical episode
- 8 'Very high risk' paedophile who groomed 12-year-old has sentence doubled
- 9 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 10 Farke hammers Tzolis for penalty antics in City defeat
'I just think this time of the season we will try and get somebody with a bit of experience,' he said. 'It's really, really tough, you have so many obstacles. People don't want to let their better ones out. It's not for the lack of trying - we have tried and hopefully this one will come off.'
Barnett has made 26 appearances for City since his loan arrival – later turned into a permanent deal – from West Brom last August, missing just three through suspension.
Lambert also revealed that midfielder Matt Gill's loan at Walsall would not be extended for another month and that he would be returning to Carrow Road.