Norwich City keeper Ruddy’s mark of respect
Norwich keeper John Ruddy revealed today his support for the Armed Forces as the country prepared to fall silent to commemorate those who have given their lives.
Ruddy's family have a strong tradition of military service and the Canaries' keeper's best friend is due to serve in Afghanistan next year.
The 24-year-old City stopper - who shows his support with the Help for Heroes charity logo stitched onto his goalkeeping gloves - believes he would also have joined the Army if he had not landed a contract at Cambridge United in his teens.
'My granddad Gordon Saunders was in the RAF. My uncles, Chris and Richard, were also in the RAF. My cousin, Paul Saunders, is active in the RAF and has done tours of Afghanistan,' Ruddy said in an interview with the Sun. 'My dad, John, was also in the Army. He served for 17 years in the light infantry. He was a lance corporal and did tours of Northern Ireland
'With the rest of my family involved in the services, going into the Army was natural thing for me. Me and my best mate Phil said we'd join up together but I went one way and he the other.
You may also want to watch:
'Phil will be my best man and has served in Iraq and Afghanistan twice. He is going back to Afghanistan in February. My wedding is June so he may not even be there. He needs to try and get special leave. If I did not get my contract at Cambridge I would have definitely joined up for the Army. I met my missus at school but she would not be with me had I gone into the Army. She said she could not be with anyone in the Army because of the time spent apart. If I ever want a divorce, I know I can join the Army!'
- 1 County welcomes tankers but motorists continue to queue for fuel
- 2 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 3 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
- 4 Revealed: Where most parking tickets have been issued in Norfolk
- 5 Weird Norfolk: Is Diss Mere the waterlogged crater of an extinct volcano?
- 6 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 7 Key workers share 'unnecessary and frustrating' impact of panic-buying
- 8 Delays on roads as petrol queues continue
- 9 Search continues for man with knife who chased victim into KFC
- 10 Can you spot yourself at Let's Rock Norwich?