Norwich City fan thanks rescuers after collapsing at bus station

Norwich City fan Peter Bradley with his wife, Pam.

Norwich City fan Peter Bradley with his wife, Pam. - Credit: David Hannant

A Norwich City fan has expressed his gratitude to a group of strangers who helped him in his hour of need.

Peter Bradley, 75, had just boarded the X1 at Norwich bus station, after City's 3-2 home defeat to Leeds, when he collapsed in his seat.

The next thing he remembers is waking up in an ambulance on his way to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital.

It was here he learned that several members of the public had rallied around to help him, while paramedics were on their way.

Mr Bradley, who spent the night in hospital before returning home to Bradwell on Sunday, has now thanked the strangers who stepped in when he was most in need of help.

You may also want to watch:

He said: 'I just want to thank everybody who did something to help. I don't have a clue who they are, but I'd like to let them know how much they helped and that I am OK now.

'I knew I had to catch the coach, so went a bit hard walking from the ground up Rouen Road, so I was totally out of puff. I was just relieved to sit down, and then the next thing I know I'm in an ambulance.'

Most Read

Once at hospital, he was told how people had called for an ambulance and performed CPR, with a paramedic telling him the scene had been 'chaotic'.

Son Martin, 50, who rushed to hospital to see his father, said: 'You often hear about people just walking past when these things happen, but that wasn't the case here.

'From what nurses and paramedics told us, a lot of people helped, so we owe them a big thank you.

'As soon as I got to the hospital and saw him sitting up, I knew he would be OK, but that might not have been the case.'

Mr Bradley's wife, Pam, said: 'I was so relieved to hear he was all right.

'I haven't let him do anything since though, I'm letting him take it easy for a while.'

Mr Bradley, a former parish councillor and postmaster in Thurlton, also praised staff at the hospital who helped him in his recovery.

While the exact cause of his collapse is unknown, he has been told it was not as the result of a heart attack.

However, the experience has not put him off returning to his beloved Carrow Road, where he first attended a game in the 1950s.

'I'll still be going to the next match – though perhaps not if I have to take the bus,' he added.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter