‘Your call is valued’ most irritating phrase for customers hanging on the line
- Credit: PA
The words 'your call is valued' is the most irritating phrase to hear while waiting to be answered by a company, according to a poll.
Almost half of those surveyed by consumer group Which? said the phrase was the most annoying while on hold, followed by being directed to the company's website and apologies for all operators being busy.
An engaged tone tops the list of most annoying sounds, named by 29pc of those polled, followed by rock music and background music with no specific tune.
Around half said that classical music was their preferred sound while waiting.
More positively, a third said being told how long they would have to wait was the most useful information while on hold, followed by where they were in the queue and the offer of being called back if they left a number.
You may also want to watch:
The watchdog also found the vast majority of people feel that the maximum time they are prepared to wait should be no longer than five minute.
Which? magazine editor Richard Headland said: 'Waiting on hold is a waste of time, but some organisations make the experience needlessly annoying through objectionable messages and music.
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 Police action over 'slavery' flag flying in Norwich garden
- 3 'It was divine' - Why this seafood platter is receiving rave reviews online
- 4 Garage owner has five months to clear site or face jail
- 5 'Shocked' couple almost given wrong Covid jab
- 6 ‘You’re trespassing’ - What happened when we gave Matt Hancock QEH petition
- 7 Owners put Tudor mansion wedding venue up for sale for £3.9m
- 8 Firefighters ripping out thatch to stop house fire spreading
- 9 Safety review promised as cyclist killed in crash is named
- 10 Six North Norfolk beaches awarded blue flag status for summer 2021
'If these drive you round the bend, vote with your feet and take your custom elsewhere.
'The best companies know the value of answering your call quickly.'