Youngsters’ work given pride of place at exhibition after first art course at Norwich Castle
- Credit: Archant
Young artists saw their work take centre stage at an exhibition of a debut Saturday morning art club in Norwich Castle.
ST*ART was launched after Norfolk County Council research found there was little art provision for children aged eight to 12 and aims to develop children's artist potential, skills and confidence.
The first course, ST*ART Drawing, began several weeks ago, with the work of 16 children displayed to parents and visitors on Saturday.
The group worked with artist Ali Atkins, who said: 'It has been a real pleasure to work with a very enthusiastic group of students who have taken part in the very first ST*ART Drawing course at Norwich Castle.
'This has been a wonderful environment to introduce the children to new skills and approaches, having the museum's art galleries as a constant resource and inspiration for the group.
'It has been fantastic to get to know the children over the past few weeks, watching their confidence and skills develop as young artists.'
Work displayed at the exhibition included a wire drawing made by student Hannah Marks, 10, and a lansdcape created by the group.
- 1 Norfolk college named best secondary school in the UK
- 2 Long-awaited plans for A47 roundabout revamps revealed
- 3 Man arrested after passenger dies in Old Buckenham crash
- 4 ‘This was our worst nightmare’: Locals shock after man dies in crash
- 5 Norwich man sentenced to life imprisonment after murder conviction
- 6 Shocking footage appears to show £100m Marham jet crashing off carrier
- 7 Police hunting for Norwich man wanted for three weeks
- 8 Man charged with drink driving after crash at police station
- 9 Plumber's plan for 'enormous' garage in his back garden rejected
- 10 Manchester City owner eyes Norfolk horse racing enterprise
Over the last few weeks, the children were taught how to shade, draw quick sketches and portraits, make wire drawings and create identity treasure boxes.
All 16 places on the drawing course were filled, with bookings for the next series of lessons, ST*ART Painting, opening soon.
The painting course will take place in the summer term. If you are interested, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
The ST*ART club, which will offer three courses a year, was funded by Town Close Estate charity and the East Anglian Art Fund.
Do you have an arts story we should be writing about? Email correspondent email@example.com