Youngsters take pride in new Lowestoft centre opening
A new youth centre officially opened its doors in Lowestoft today.
And there was a real sense of pride among a group of teenagers from the town who have been involved in the project since it first began - as they admired the realisation of more than three years of hard work,
At the special launch event of The Junction - a one stop shop for young people in the Lowestoft town centre - stars from the Marina Theatre pantomime Jack and the Beanstalk lined up alongside district and county councillors, Waveney MP Peter Aldous and the youngsters to cut a ceremonial ribbon and mark the new centre open.
Lee Cuthbertson, a young member from The Junction's steering group, said: 'Its great to see this place open and I am proud of this building. Everything has gone through the young people and only a few of us have been involved from day one.'
Echoing these sentiments, councillor Graham Newman, Suffolk County Council's portfolio holder for children, schools and young people's services, said: 'This building is a great tribute to everyone that has been involved - and it is here to help young people in this town.'
The centre provides meeting rooms, and will serve as a base for charities and other groups offering advice and support to young people on a range of issues. The Junction is open Monday to Friday, from 1pm to 5pm.
- 1 Hermes courier and his wife could be jailed over ‘stolen parcels’
- 2 Obituary: Tributes after 'heart-shaped hole' is left following teaching assistant's death
- 3 Row erupts after dozens of trees aligning footpath chopped down
- 4 How Norfolk's current Covid figures compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of sexually assaulting girl on her way to school
- 6 Christmas lights switch-on cancelled due to forecasted high winds
- 7 Freezing cold temperatures could see snow in parts of Norfolk this weekend
- 8 Fire crews tackle large barn blaze
- 9 Winter Wonderland coming to park with ice slide, donkeys and reindeer
- 10 Primary pupil sexually assaulted on way to school