Youngster’s secret toad in the hole recipe wows council leaders
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A prize-winning junior chef has wowed the top brass at Norfolk County Council with her secret recipe for toad in the hole.
Council leader Cliff Jordan described the dish, cooked yesterday by Emma, a Year 6 pupil at Bungay Primary, as 'delicious – just my sort of lunch'.
Emma, who is one of Norfolk's looked after children, entered the recipe for a cookery competition this summer, and won a day out in London to cook with famous people, including Wayne Sleep and Michel Roux Jr.
After the cooking session, she said: 'It was good fun cooking at County Hall. The kitchen is like home – only bigger, and with more people cooking all at once. I made a special big portion for the big boss [executive director for children's services Michael Rosen]!'
'It was quite easy cooking the toad in the hole here. When I cooked it in London for the competition, the ovens didn't work as well as they did here or at home.'
Emma's special recipe will go on the menu for County Hall staff to enjoy when the newly refurbished staff restaurant, run by Norse Catering, opens in early November.
- 1 Meet the new team behind revamped village pub
- 2 Woman in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
- 3 People are driving for hours to visit this loaded fries and doughnut kiosk
- 4 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 5 Music-loving dad whose ashes were fired into festival crowd took own life
- 6 Obituary: Doctor, and son of Norwich's recycling empire founder, dies aged 69
- 7 One person taken to hospital after three-car crash on A47
- 8 Father accused of baby girl's murder 'had short fuse and made things up'
- 9 Holiday Inn to become 'care hotel' to help struggling hospitals
- 10 One of East Anglia's largest property builders is sold to investment firm