Young Farmers profiles: Mary Jones
As part of our regular series of profiles on the region's Young Farmers' Club (YFC) members, business development manager MARY JONES talks about the varied challenges of working on a diversified dairy farm.
I work for Dann's Farm Ice Cream and Norfolk Farmhouse Ice Cream, which are made using the produce from the farm's dairy.
My job includes delivering ice cream around the region, including lollies to 137 East of England Co-Op stores across Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex.
I also organise office paperwork and HACCP (hazard analysis and critical control points) documents, cart hire enquiries for weddings and parties, advertising, point of sale materials, magazine articles, and responding to ice cream enquiries for trade and customers.
Other duties include answering the phone, taking orders, labelling and stamping tubs in the production room, potting tubs with ice cream and boxing up orders for delivery – which can be a very chilly job.
You may also want to watch:
We're gradually introducing more stock into the farm shop as well.
I love the job because it is so varied. I get to go out and about and see lots of different things. There's never a dull moment, the office is always busy, and it's great to talk to lots of people on the phone every day.
- 1 Latest situation on fuel sees more queues despite continued assurances
- 2 Former DJ and worker at Norfolk school was a 'deviant sexual predator'
- 3 Seaside restaurant hit with zero food hygiene rating
- 4 Jailed in Norfolk: Paedophiles and man caught with £15k of cannabis
- 5 Norfolk fuel update: Football match called off as crisis reaches day five
- 6 County welcomes tankers but motorists continue to queue for fuel
- 7 Flowers left by road in tribute after man's death
- 8 Aldi to open 100 new stores with eyes on towns in Norfolk
- 9 Police probe launched after video shows officer kick out
- 10 Dad who threw daughter into cot cleared of murder
My job tends to make people happy because many people love ice cream, and we are providing them with it. It is great to speak to brides and grooms and allow Dann's to be a part of someone's wedding.
In the next five years, Mr Dann hopes to develop an education room where we teach children about food and farming. I have a degree in Childhood Studies and my dissertation was named: 'Sausages come from Elephants', children say: An Investigation into Children's Understanding of the Origins of their Food. Having lived on a farm all of my life, this is a topic which is close to my heart and I would love to make a difference to children's lives and allow them to explore the countryside.
I have been a part of Reepham Young Farmers and Countrysiders for more than 12 years. It has become a part of my life. I am Norfolk YFC Secretary of the Year and I feel the skills I have learned being a Young Farmers secretary has helped me to organise a busy farm and ice cream office.
Reepham YFC meets at Whitwell Station on Tuesday evenings. For more information, contact the county office on 01603 731307.
Name: Mary Jones
Occupation: Business development manager
Location: Dann's Farm, North Tuddenham
YFC Club: Reepham
How long have you been a YFC member?: 12 years (including Countrysiders)