Young Farmers profiles: Agri-business consultant Peter Cox
- Credit: Submitted
As part of our regular series of profiles on the region's Young Farmers' Club (YFC) members, agri-business consultant PETER COX explains his role in offering advice to the region's agricultural companies.
As an agri-business consultant with Brown & Co, I am involved in many farming businesses, with particular focus on cashflow management, profitability forecasts and the establishment of contract farming agreements.
Despite the fact that this is predominantly an office-based job, I am often travelling around East Anglia meeting with farmers, which is an aspect of the job that I enjoy, coming from an agricultural background.
Over the last week, I have been involved in setting up new contract farming agreements, and I have also carried out a full appraisal of a farming business, identifying the strengths and weaknesses, and addressing where further attention is required.
I particularly enjoy working in this industry because of the variety of farms, and how as an industry we are prepared to share both ideas and approaches to improve efficiency of operation.
Having been brought up on a family farm, I have always wanted to work in agriculture and being able to mix my interests in both business management as well as practical farming enables me to have the best of both worlds.
Young Farmers is very important to me due to the ability to meet regularly with many people who share similar interests as I do. I have been involved with Young Farmers for 11 years now, and I am hopeful that the friends I have made will be for life.
- 1 Two Norfolk seaside hotels named among the best in Britain
- 2 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 3 Michael McIntyre and Robert Rinder spotted at Carrow Road
- 4 Norfolk couple: 'We’ve lost £30k in cryptocurrency scam'
- 5 Man seriously injured in A47 crash after police pursuit
- 6 Norfolk police officer goes on the run to win £100,000 on Hunted
- 7 Lane of A47 remains shut after serious crash yesterday afternoon
- 8 A47 closed for several hours following crash in west Norfolk
- 9 Boat users given fines over £16k for breaking rules on Norfolk Broads
- 10 Norfolk zoo keeper abandoned as a baby reunited with mother in ITV show
Meeting people through my job has certainly been made easier through the events and activities which Young Farmers arrange with public speaking featuring regularly in the calendar. Meeting once a week and discussing agricultural topics also provides me with up-to-date farming knowledge which is very important for my job, especially as I seem to be learning something new every day with the regular changes in the industry.
Diss YFC meets at Burston Pavilion on Wednesday evenings. For more information, contact the county office on 01603 731307.
Name: Peter Cox
Job Title: Agri-Business Consultant
Location: Brown & Co, Bury St Edmunds
YFC Club: Diss
How long have you been in YFC?: 11 years