Young boxer, 12, enters international tournament
A promising young boxer from Hockering, near Dereham, will put her skills to the test at an international tournament this weekend.
Emma Dolan, a member of the Attleborough Boxing Club, has notched up a number of victories since she began boxing at the age of nine, winning her first competitive bout in October last year.
After beating a national champion in February, the 12-year-old wanted to develop her skills by competing with top class contenders at a similar weight and experience level, but could find none in this country.
She applied to Breckland Council for funding and was awarded a �350 Sports Development grant which has enabled her to compete in the International Pirkka Tournament in Tampere, Finland tomorrow (Saturday).
Her coach Clare Judge said: 'Emma has a fantastic attitude and great commitment. She receives fantastic support from her parents and their backing and encouragement has helped her to give the commitment to boxing needed for the level of training and competition associated with it'.
The youngster is also due to compete in the 38-40kg category at the Junior Female National Championships in Mansfield on June 11.
Stefan Clifford, a sports development officer at Breckland, said: 'Breckland's Gifted and Talented fund is there to support promising youngsters and help them develop their talent. Through competing in the tournament, Emma will have the opportunity to broaden her experience and compete with some really top class contenders. This will stand her in good stead as she continues her development in the sport'.
- 1 Doctors baffled by teenager's horrific long Covid symptoms
- 2 Norfolk man amongst UK's 12 most wanted
- 3 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 4 Council leader arrested after suspected drink driving on Christmas Day
- 5 Pub near Dereham has its first winners of steak-eating challenge
- 6 Music-loving dad whose ashes were fired into festival crowd took own life
- 7 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in the UK
- 8 Revealed: Travelodge behind multi-million pound hotel development
- 9 Man threatened to petrol bomb ex-partner's home
- 10 Hot tub wrecked after car smashes through garden wall from Wilkos car park
Emma is also due to compete in the 38-40kg category in the Junior Female National championships in Mansfield on June 11.
For further information about sports development grants, contact Stefan Clifford on 01362 656870.