Young actor sought for major role
- Credit: Archant
Producers of a new Lowestoft musical are looking for a budding actor to make a huge splash onto the stage.
The B&B Young People's Theatre Group, which gives anyone aged six to 24 the chance to tread the theatre boards, are looking for talented actors, singers and dancers to star in Singin' in the Rain.
And the coveted role of Don Lockwood – made a household name by Gene Kelly – is one of the main roles up for grabs.
Auditions take place this weekend on Saturday and Sunday, October 21 and 22, at The Players Theatre in Battery Green Road.
Singin' in the Rain follows the shift in movies during the 1920s from silent to sound.
You may also want to watch:
When two silent movie stars – Don Lockwood and Lina Lamont's – latest film is made into a musical Don is over the moon. That is until Lina finds out that a chorus girl Kathy Seldon is being used to dub her singing and speaking voice.
This light-hearted story is a tale of love, change and ultimately doing the right thing.
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: Norwich City Council LIVE Results
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 3 Martin Lewis: How to get your hands on £280 if you worked from home
- 4 Great-grandmother can't dance amid gallbladder operation complications
- 5 Man jailed after abducting 14-year-old girl
- 6 Village pub's burgers are a hit for our reviewer as eating out returns
- 7 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 8 Shock for Tories as they lose overall control of council
- 9 Make it modern: Norfolk rectory goes up for sale after renovation
- 10 6 things to do as temperatures set to rise to 21C
Hundreds of litres of water will pour onto the stage to help depict the most iconic scene, which featured in the original film and saw Mr Kelly dance through the rain with an umbrella.
Thom Bailey, director of the show, said the role of Don was a chance for a young performer to show off their skills.
He said: 'It is an opportunity for someone to show how multi-talented they are. It's an all-singing, all-dancing role, but the lucky applicant will also need to be able to act and effectively lead the show.
'It's a fantastic part to be offered and I think whoever gets it will have a wonderful experience.'
The principal parts of Cosmo Brown, Lina Lamont and Kathy Seldon are also available, as well as chorus roles.
The show will run for eight performances from April 3 to April 8 next year, and will feature a live orchestra.
Auditions take place at The Players Theatre in Lowestoft on Saturday, October 21, from 4pm and Sunday, October 22, from 2.15pm.
For more information, and to apply, visit www.thebandbtheatregroup.co.uk