Students celebrate six months of befriending care home residents
- Credit: Archant
A group of year 12 students have visited a care home more than 150 times this year.
On May 22, eight of the 12 Young People of the Year (YOPEY) befrienders gathered for a celebration at Windmill House, Wymondham.
The students, from Wymondham High Academy, go to the care home each week to visit the residents.
The event was attended by a Deputy Lieutenant of behalf of the Norfolk Lieutenancy.
Melinda Raker, DL, said: 'The initiative is so impressive as are the young people and the marvellous support for the scheme from the wonderful care home staff.
You may also want to watch:
'There is clearly a real connection with the residents by the young which I found very moving.'
Keri Kennett, 17, said: 'We spent time talking to the residents, helping serving tea and coffee and a range of tasty food. The atmosphere was lovely and everyone had a great time.'
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 3 Great-grandmother can't dance amid gallbladder operation complications
- 4 Martin Lewis: How to get your hands on £280 if you worked from home
- 5 Man jailed after abducting 14-year-old girl
- 6 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 7 Shock for Tories as they lose overall control of council
- 8 Village pub's burgers are a hit for our reviewer as eating out returns
- 9 Make it modern: Norfolk rectory goes up for sale after renovation
- 10 Norfolk County Council Elections 2021: Joy for Greens in Norwich