Yarmouth fire may have been caused by an ice cream freezer

The aftermath of a major fire which has destroyed the Regent Road superbowl and indoor market in the

The aftermath of a major fire which has destroyed the Regent Road superbowl and indoor market in the centre of Great Yarmouth.The view from the fire service crane.Picture: James Bass - Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2016

An ice cream freezer may have caused the blaze at the Regent Superbowl and Indoor Market.

Phil Thompson, the landlord of the building said that the ice cream freezer on the first floor may have been the cause after getting a call from a fireman on Tuesday night. Jonathan Wilby, eastern district station manager for Norfolk Fire, said: 'We believe that it has been caused by an electrical fault, such as a problem with an electrical circuit or electrical item.

'We have a good idea of what it could be but we are still carrying out investigations.'

Meanwhile fire crews will be on the scene at Regent Road for the majority of the day.

Six days after the blaze which destroyed the iconic building in Great Yarmouth, crews are still at the scene dampening down the remains.


You may also want to watch:


A Great Yarmouth Borough Council spokesman yesterday said that Phil Thompson who owns the building will be passed on the responsibility of dampening the site.

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus