Wymondham lollipop lady retires after 29 years
A lollipop lady who has helped children safely cross the road for nearly three decades has retired.
Joan Roberts, who lives in Northfield Gardens, Wymondham, hung up her lollipop and said a final farewell to staff and pupils at Browick Road Infant School yesterday.
Mrs Roberts, who has been a lollipop lady for 29 years started her career at Garrick Green Infant School, in Old Catton. She has worked in schools in Earlham and Costessey before moving to Wymondham 14 years ago.
The mother-of-six, who will celebrate her 75th birthday in March, said: 'I like meeting people and their children and it's good to see them grow up.
'The job worked well with school holidays. I have loved my job from the start.
You may also want to watch:
'But I have got a couple of chest infections over the past couple of years and standing outside in the cold doesn't help.
'Last December I was hit by a car while I was at work. I had a week off but I was shaken up.'
- 1 Teenage boy found a week after being reported missing
- 2 School apologises for uniform advice wording after sexism claims
- 3 38 Norfolk schools and university named in students' accounts of sex abuse
- 4 Two Norfolk restaurants in top five 'secret' places to eat on English coast
- 5 Man denies causing death by careless driving on A47 in Norfolk
- 6 WATCH: Heron patiently waits for fish and chips
- 7 A47 driver stopped in smashed up Vauxhall and failed drug test
- 8 'We offered £20k over and still lost out': Frantic housing market revealed
- 9 Canaries closing in on new shirt sponsor
- 10 Prince William, George and Charlotte start races at Sandringham
Staff and pupils at the school held a leaving assembly for Mrs Roberts on Monday and presented her with flowers and gift vouchers.
'They also gave me a tea towel and all of the children had drawn their faces on it. They also made me a lollipop book and the children wrote their names inside,' added Mrs Roberts, who has 14 grandchildren and nine great grandchildren.
*Do you have a Wymondham story for the Evening News? Call local reporter Lucy Wright on 01603 772439 or email firstname.lastname@example.org