Looking for the perfect antidote to winter gloom? Unique Norfolk festival celebrating lemons may make you smile
- Credit: Ian Burt
Its bright yellow colour represents a zest for life and, at this time of year, it is a valuable medicine that can make those nasty coughs and colds disappear.
So this weekend, one Norfolk community is set to celebrate everything that is great about lemons - as a perfect antidote to winter gloom.
Since 2011, Wymondham has celebrated everything about the colour, flavour and fruit in one of the more unusual but brighter county festivals.
The aim is to bring all sections of the community together under the common theme of the citrus fruit to raise money for good causes.
As well as wearing yellow jumpers, hats and decorating cars, homes and shops in the colour, the 2017 event on Saturday, November 4 will include a tasty lemon cake parade, craft and food stalls and a raffle.
This year's activities include youth drama by Slow Theatre Company and music from Wymondham Ukulele Group - and whether they know it or not, Norwich City Football Club fans are said to be already promoting the festivities by wearing the colour of the Canaries.
Founder Tony Vale said: 'On gloomy days, it's great to bring out some vibrant colour and happiness to get the community together.
- 1 Restaurant apologises after boy hospitalised with allergic reaction
- 2 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 3 Where the streets have no cars... the community that banned the school run
- 4 Revamped 'hidden gem' restaurant hoping to put village on map for food
- 5 'God's waiting room' - Norfolk town is country's pensioner hotspot
- 6 World record? 24 ducklings spotted waddling through Norfolk village
- 7 Former vicarage set in one acre is up for sale - and it needs some TLC
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 Fake chefs deliver out-of-date lasagne to Carrow Road ahead of Spurs clash
- 10 Cyclist airlifted to hospital with serious injuries following incident
'Lemon as a colour is a vibrant and uplifting symbol of spring and the antidote to winter gloom. As a fruit it represents the zest of life and acts as a medicine for coughs and colds.'
The sixth annual Wymondham Lemon Day will be held this year at North Wymondham Community Centre.
The venue will also be this year's beneficiary, with trustees of the charity-run community building launching a major Raising the Roof for North Wymondham Community Centre campaign. The goal of the drive is to raise £20,000 for vital roof repairs to the building.
The fun day will run from 2.30pm until 4.30pm at the community centre in Lime Tree Avenue, Wymondham.
For more information, check the Wymondham Lemon Day Facebook page at www.facebook.com/WymondhamLemonDay