Wymondham Leisure Centre’s new look draws large numbers
- Credit: SIMON FINLAY
The refurbished Wymondham Leisure Centre had more than 72,000 extra visits since opening in April compared to the same period in previous years, the council that owns it has said.
The centre reopened in April after a £3.5m project by South Norfolk Council, which added a new two-storey gym with 100 stations, fitness studio with a sprung floor, separate spa area, changing rooms, cafe, steam room and sauna.
Clayton Hudson, the council's cabinet member for stronger communities and leisure, said: 'We wanted Wymondham Leisure Centre to be a community hub and that is exactly what it is.
'Our membership has increased by an incredible 87pc and the new centre is a place where everyone feels welcome.
'The health and wellbeing of our residents is a priority and we are aware of the crucial role that regular participation in sport and physical activity can have on the health of our residents. The centre offers activities that suit people of all ages and abilities and we have had over 72,000 more visits since opening compared to the same period in previous years.
You may also want to watch:
'Because leisure is a discretionary service the council has a duty to all of its residents to ensure that our facilities are managed and operated in the most effective and efficient way possible.
'Since reopening in April the income generated overall has increased by more than 60pc, something that will benefit every resident of south Norfolk.'
- 1 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 2 New women's only fitness studio to open in Norwich
- 3 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 4 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
- 5 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 6 Chance to have your say over 4,000-home development
- 7 Driver who died in A47 crash had medical episode
- 8 'Very high risk' paedophile who groomed 12-year-old has sentence doubled
- 9 Farke hammers Tzolis for penalty antics in City defeat
- 10 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
Wymondham Leisure Centre's swimming timetable has been updated to increase the amount of general swimming sessions, with free swimming for under-fives and the discount offered to Passport to Leisure card-holders has increased to 50pc for casual use.
Have you got a Wymondham story? Email email@example.com or call 01603 772588.