Wymondham country market is saved from closure
- Credit: Archant
A country market which has been in a south Norfolk town for decades has a new home in Wymondham.
Wymondham Country Market, which was founded by the Women's Institute 35 years ago, will have a new home in the new year – at the Ex-Service's Club.
The market, which was held at Kings Head Meadow on Friday morning, was facing closure unless a new venue could be found.
Traders, who call themselves shareholders, will open in Friarscroft Lane on February 7.
Veronica Pell, who has been a shareholder at the market for 15 years, said: 'We have a new home thanks to the appeal which went in the newspaper.
You may also want to watch:
'One of the committee members from the ex-services club saw it and offered us a new home. We are going to be inside the old regal cinema.' The market sells fresh, locally-sourced produce, crafts, gifts and cards.
The shareholders are appealing for new members to join, particularly those wishing to sell vegetables.
- 1 Son's plea for help as mum, 87, goes missing from care home
- 2 Man in critical condition after Norwich assault
- 3 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 4 Covid Delta variant cases double in Norfolk
- 5 Murder investigation launched after woman found dead following house fire
- 6 Thieves swam across river to steal paddleboards from new firm
- 7 In pictures: England fans enjoy Euro 2020 win at Norwich fan park
- 8 Neighbours tell of shock as murder probe launched
- 9 Weather warning for thunderstorms this week after Monday heat
- 10 This charming village pub is worth travelling to from across Norfolk
The 68-year-old, who lives in Preston Avenue, added: 'We would like to thank everyone at the ex-services club and those at the football club, especially Harvey the steward who has been great.
'We are very much looking forward to moving into our new home. We are looking forward to the future.'
The market was based in Market Street, but later moved to Central Hall. When the hall was closed for refurbishment, the market moved next door to the football club, at Kings Head Meadow.
The market will be held on Fridays from 8.30am until 11.30am.
Anyone who would like to get involved should contact Mrs Pell on 01953 603708.
Do you have a Wymondham story? Email email@example.com