Wymondham care home staff acted swiftly after reports of fire in laundry room
- Credit: Archant
Four fire engines were called to a care home for the elderly following reports of a fire in its laundry room.
Staff at Windmill House Care Home, in Browick Road, Wymondham, rang 999 shortly before 4am yesterday.
The managing director for the care home chain said staff evacuated the rooms nearest the laundry, and were praised by the fire service for their swift action.
Windmill House provides accommodation for a maximum of 59 older people, some of whom may be living with dementia, according to its most recent Care Quality Commission (CQC) inspection.
It is thought that the fire started in a tumble dryer.
In a written statement Logan Logeswaran, managing director of Runwood Homes, which manages Windmill House, said: 'Staff at Windmill House were praised by the fire brigade for their quick and efficient response when smoke was detected coming from the laundry room at the home in the early hours of yesterday.
'On discovery of this incident the care team manager immediately rang 999 and although there were no flames, the staff team followed correct company procedures and rooms nearest to the laundry were evacuated.
- 1 Where the streets have no cars... the community that banned the school run
- 2 Restaurant apologises after boy hospitalised with allergic reaction
- 3 Fake chefs deliver out-of-date lasagne to Carrow Road ahead of Spurs clash
- 4 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 5 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 6 Revamped 'hidden gem' restaurant hoping to put village on map for food
- 7 Cyclist airlifted to hospital with serious injuries following incident
- 8 'God's waiting room' - Norfolk town is country's pensioner hotspot
- 9 Town faces disruption from roadworks 15 miles away
- 10 Former vicarage set in one acre is up for sale - and it needs some TLC
'As a precaution, all residents in the home were checked by the staff on duty and reassurance was given as to actions taken.
'We are pleased that this incident was dealt with effectively by the home and by the fire service and thank everyone involved for their prompt response.'
A spokesman for the fire service said eight people were helped from the home and crews were on scene for around two hours.