Wymondham Access Group fundraiser for vital swimming pool equipment
- Credit: Archant
An organisation which aims to make a town more accessible to those with disabilities has held its first fundraiser to buy a specialist piece of swimming pool equipment.
The Wymondham Access Group (WAG) needs to raise £25,000 to cover the overall cost of a pool pod – which is designed to help those who are disabled and less mobile to get in and out of a swimming pool.
The fundraiser was held at Wymondham Leisure Centre, where the equipment will be kept. Group chairman Neil Seach said the nearest pool pod was in Stowmarket, which is 35 miles from Wymondham.
He said: 'It is about easy access and not just for the disabled but for those who are pregnant and people with young children.'
In addition to fundraising, the day was also to raise awareness of the group and the number of different sporting activities which are available to those with disabilities.
You may also want to watch:
Shuffleboard, boccia and wheelchair basketball were just some of the sports people were able to try. Mr Seach said: 'The idea was to show people that disabled and able-bodied people can enjoy sport and health activities and various games together. Disabled people don't always feel included in sporting activity. I used to be an active person before my accident. It's about people going out and enjoying themselves and taking part in fun activities.'
WAG are also in the running for a grant from an Aviva Community Fund for the pool pod. To receive the grant, the project needs to get as many votes as possible on an internet poll. Voting closes on Friday.
- 1 Top of the Pops dancer, Octopussy star and 'Lord' settles in Norfolk
- 2 Reduce your dementia risk with 7 lifestyle changes
- 3 Bar splashes out £500,000 on outdoor dining area
- 4 Woman injured by jars of sauce thrown in Sainsbury's
- 5 Wanted Norwich man arrested in north Norfolk village
- 6 'They thought I was crazy' - New owner's lockdown pub success
- 7 Man exposed himself to three teenage girls at Morrisons
- 8 BBC Springwatch films at Norfolk nature haven - with beavers
- 9 'Vulnerable' Norfolk man missing from home
- 10 A47 tailbacks as roadworks move west near Norwich
To vote visit www.avivacommunityfund.co.uk and search for Wymondham Access Group. For more information about WAG visit www.accesswymondham.org
Have you got a charity story? Email firstname.lastname@example.org