Wrentham gas explosion prosecution sees Norwich man in court
A gas installer has received a suspended prison sentence and 250 hours of unpaid work after his inadequate work on domestic gas appliances put the lives of a mother and daughter at risk in their own home.
James Hampson, 34, of Knowland Grove, Norwich, installed a new gas boiler and associated pipework at Lynn Brown's home on Chapel Road in Wrentham, near Lowestoft, on December 22, 2010.
On the morning of December 24, 2010 Mrs Brown, switched on an electric kettle in her kitchen and her home exploded, causing extensive burns to her and her daughter Lucy Green.
A Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation found that the joint between the emergency control valve on the boiler and the flexible pipe upstream of the meter was not tightened properly and as a result was leaking gas.
The gas meter, as well as the pipework leading from it, was also inadequately secured.
The gas leaked throughout the house and was ignited when Mrs Brown switched on the kettle.
As well as causing severe injuries to her and her daughter, the resulting fire and explosion caused major structural damage to their home.
- 1 Hermes courier and his wife could be jailed over ‘stolen parcels’
- 2 Obituary: Tributes after 'heart-shaped hole' is left following teaching assistant's death
- 3 Row erupts after dozens of trees aligning footpath chopped down
- 4 How Norfolk's current Covid figures compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of sexually assaulting girl on her way to school
- 6 Christmas lights switch-on cancelled due to forecasted high winds
- 7 Freezing cold temperatures could see snow in parts of Norfolk this weekend
- 8 Fire crews tackle large barn blaze
- 9 Primary pupil sexually assaulted on way to school
- 10 Significant damage to church after metal stolen from roof
Ipswich Crown Court was told today that Mr Hampson had failed to ensure that the work he had carried out on the property was properly completed, therefore putting lives at risk.
After the hearing, HSE Inspector Malcolm Crowther said: 'Working with gas appliances is specialised and potentially very dangerous.
'In this case, Mr Hampson's unsafe work cost a mother and daughter their health and their home. It could have cost them their lives.
'Mr Hampson was qualified to do the work but on this occasion he failed to ensure that all gas connections were sufficiently tight, which was a serious mistake.
'HSE will not hesitate to prosecute those who put lives at risk in this way.'
Hampson, who was self-employed and trading as Ryan Services at the time, admitted breaching Regulations 6(1) and 7(1) of the Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998.
Hampson was said to be devastated by what had happened and his thoughts were with Mrs Brown and her daughter.
He had no previous convictions and is still a Gas Safe registered installer.
He was ordered to pay �10,000 costs in addition to his eight month prison sentence, suspended for two years, and hours of unpaid work.