Would you go camping in a church? You can near Reepham
- Credit: Colin Finch
Fancy holidaying at home this year, but with a difference?
How about camping inside one of Norfolk's most unusual churches, with breakfast thrown in?
'Champing' – church camping –has arrived in the county. From May holidaymakers will be able to book a night inside the fantastical, richly-decorated Church of St Michael the Archangel, in Booton, near Reepham.
For £55 per adult, £20 for children, campers can enjoy the run of the extraordinary 19th-century Gothic building, designed by eccentric clergyman the Rev Whitwell Elwin.
Families and pets will have the isolated church to themselves to play hide-and-seek, and sleep under the hammerbeam roof decorated with the carved angels Elwin modelled on his 'Blessed Girls' – young female friends. An eco-friendly compost toilet will be installed outside, water provided and organisers are talking to local pubs, cafés, farms, and restaurants about providing breakfast for campers.
You may also want to watch:
The Grade II*-listed building, unused as a church since 1987, is among 347 in England under the care of the Churches Conservation Trust which is trying to find imaginative ways to bring people back inside them. The trust launched its first four champing sites last year and is expanding choices to 10 this year, including Booton Church.
Tracey Crouch, minister for heritage and tourism, said: 'This scheme is truly an encouraging way to ensure the rich history in churches is not lost.'
- 1 Man killed and three wounded in multiple stabbing
- 2 Murder victim is named as accused under armed guard in hospital
- 3 Four fish and chip shops listed among the best in the country
- 4 Father stabbed to death 'after argument about motorbike noise'
- 5 Man dies after 'industrial incident' at farm
- 6 Forensics on scene as murder investigation continues
- 7 Man airlifted to hospital with serious injuries after falling from cliff
- 8 Fashion chain's £50,000 debt written off
- 9 Police and air ambulance called to major incident near Norwich
- 10 Developer WITHDRAWS controversial proposals to redevelop Anglia Square
For more information visit www.champing.co.uk