Woman who set up charity in memory of baby son is crowned overall winner at Stars of Lowestoft and Waveney Awards
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A woman who set up a charity to help other families after losing her son at just six-weeks-old was crowned the overall winner of this year's Stars of Lowestoft and Waveney Awards.
Courtney Parker from Halesworth was presented with the Charity Worker of the Year award at tonight's ceremony at the Ivy House County Hotel in Oulton Broad for her work setting up The Blayze'ing Star Charity. It aims to raise awareness of the infection which killed her son and pay for pregnant women to be sent home tests to screen for strep B, something not offered on the NHS.
She then went on to be crowned the overall winner and was presented with a £400 holiday voucher.
Other winners included the Lowestoft RNLI who won Uniform Services of the Year, Beccles swimmer Jordan Catchpole who won Outstanding Sporting Achievement of the Year and Rob Fawcett representing Parkrun Lowestoft, which picked up Community Group of the Year.
BBC Radio Suffolk presenter Mark Murphy, who compered the evening, said: 'We can't necessarily make a difference on the world's stage but we can make a difference where we live and we have seen that in bucket loads tonight.'
Full details of all the winners, photos and reaction from the night will be published on our website tomorrow.
- 1 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 2 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 3 Man dies of collapsed lung after 'busy' hospital meant x-ray was missed
- 4 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 5 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 6 Farmer says cousin's wedding venue will bring 'criminal activity'
- 7 'It is a cash cow' - vicar's warning after being slapped with parking fine
- 8 Norfolk garden centre wins 27th gold medal at Chelsea Flower Show
- 9 Major road to close for resurfacing works costing £81,000
- 10 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you