Breast cancer survivor who lost 2st in nine months named Slimming World’s Woman of the Year
- Credit: Archant
A fifty-four-year-old woman who joined Slimming World after gaining weight during cancer treatment has been recognised for her achievements.
Jo Somerville, from Ditchingham, has been voted Slimming World 'Woman of the Year' 2017 for the Worlingham 5.30pm group.
She has lost almost 2st since joining the group in November, and has gone from 11st 1.5lb to 9st 6lb.
Dropping from a dress size 16 to a 10, she said: 'I started to put on weight after undergoing treatment for breast cancer and I lost all confidence in myself and took to wearing baggy tops and loose fitting clothes.
'I have always had trouble with my weight and body image and this had made matters even worse.
You may also want to watch:
'My Journey hasn't been an easy one with several more health scares along the way but with the support from Liz and everyone in group my confidence has grown.
'Through body magic I am fitter than I have ever been and have just completed my first 10k race and raised £600 for cancer charities. My battle with cancer is not over yet as I am still awaiting more tests on a new tumour, however whatever the outcome I know the Worlingham Slimming World Group will help me stay confident, feeling good about myself and fit enough to get through this next challenge.'
- 1 Moment delivery driver walks through shop window
- 2 Two Norfolk destinations named among most scenic in UK
- 3 Martin Lewis: How to get your hands on £280 if you worked from home
- 4 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 5 Village pub's burgers are a hit for our reviewer as eating out returns
- 6 Giles Orpen-Smellie elected as police and crime commissioner
- 7 Great-grandmother can't dance amid gallbladder operation complications
- 8 6 things to do as temperatures set to rise to 21C
- 9 Farmers hope to unlock 'huge potential' of cannabis crops
- 10 Dinomania tour heading to Norfolk with giant dinosaurs that move
Liz Sunderland, who runs the Tuesday Worlingham group, said: 'I'm so proud of Jo for all she's achieved. She's a fantastic ambassador for Slimming World and what she's achieved is nothing short of incredible!
'She's a huge inspiration to everyone in our group and I hope she inspires other women – and men – in Beccles and Worlingham to change their lives in the same way.'