Breast cancer survivor who lost 2st in nine months named Slimming World’s Woman of the Year
- Credit: Archant
A fifty-four-year-old woman who joined Slimming World after gaining weight during cancer treatment has been recognised for her achievements.
Jo Somerville, from Ditchingham, has been voted Slimming World 'Woman of the Year' 2017 for the Worlingham 5.30pm group.
She has lost almost 2st since joining the group in November, and has gone from 11st 1.5lb to 9st 6lb.
Dropping from a dress size 16 to a 10, she said: 'I started to put on weight after undergoing treatment for breast cancer and I lost all confidence in myself and took to wearing baggy tops and loose fitting clothes.
'I have always had trouble with my weight and body image and this had made matters even worse.
'My Journey hasn't been an easy one with several more health scares along the way but with the support from Liz and everyone in group my confidence has grown.
'Through body magic I am fitter than I have ever been and have just completed my first 10k race and raised £600 for cancer charities. My battle with cancer is not over yet as I am still awaiting more tests on a new tumour, however whatever the outcome I know the Worlingham Slimming World Group will help me stay confident, feeling good about myself and fit enough to get through this next challenge.'
- 1 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in the UK
- 2 Couple explores Norfolk homes in Escape to the Country
- 3 What is this mystery tower that has sprung up in Norwich?
- 4 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 5 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 6 Drunk student crashed into hotel wall after drinking tequilas
- 7 MAPPED: Where thousands of homes could be built in north Norfolk
- 8 'Ghetto' fears raised over scheme for 725 new homes
- 9 Pub landlord threatened to kill man he chased through streets with axe
- 10 Which Norfolk hospital has the longest ambulance handovers?
Liz Sunderland, who runs the Tuesday Worlingham group, said: 'I'm so proud of Jo for all she's achieved. She's a fantastic ambassador for Slimming World and what she's achieved is nothing short of incredible!
'She's a huge inspiration to everyone in our group and I hope she inspires other women – and men – in Beccles and Worlingham to change their lives in the same way.'